Toyota TJ Cruiser Multi Hatch - Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Toyota TJ Cruiser Multi Hatch

The Toyota FT-4X/TJ Cruiser showcases a multi-hatch on the rear end and it's seriously cool.

I can find so many uses for it, albeit, one better than the gif posted below.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/3brp...T_4X_hatch.gif

Unfortunately I cannot embed it... but.. you get the point.

So why is it multi-hatch if it isn't obvious enough.
-You can open it as a regular hatch
-You can split and open like cargo-van doors

Adding to that to make matters better, one side of the doors acts as a warming box, and the other a cooling box.

So you can put gloves, hats, etc. in the warming box and snacks and juice boxes in the cooling box.

Pretty cool right?

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 05:10 PM

With these kinds of vehicles, off-road friendly, I expect to see a spare tire on the tailgate like the FJ Cruiser. But that won't be possible when there are two ways to open up the rear hatch and implementing one could be too complicated and not very cost effective.

That's a shame because spare tires are important to me in this day and age where most are offered with a repair kit instead of a spare.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 10:42 PM

Garage
Probably the best feature on this concept IMO.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

I would also expect a spare tire. Maybe they'll mount it underneath although that'll really depend on how much room is really under there. Perhaps a dummy in the cargo area or something?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 03:37 PM

Unlike previous generations of Toyota SUV's that came with a standard spare, this time around it should be optional. Being a vehicle made for a lot of folks in the city, tire patch kits are suitable. You even see less vehicles come with spare tires as standard. A better question would be how many of you would opt for a spare?

My Current Ride ~ 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 09:09 AM

I'd opt for a spare just to have that security blanket, actually had to change a tire once by the roadside once and the spare was a life saver.

They'd probably mount it on the underside or maybe cut into the under-bed storage to fit one.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

I'd rather a spare than a patch kit any time. Yeah it's a little extra weight to lug around but if it's only a dummy, it's essentially only an extra like 15 pounds ?!

If you were to get a side wall intrusion of some sort, the patch kit isn't going to do anything helpful for you.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughDay View Post
I'd rather a spare than a patch kit any time. Yeah it's a little extra weight to lug around but if it's only a dummy, it's essentially only an extra like 15 pounds ?!

If you were to get a side wall intrusion of some sort, the patch kit isn't going to do anything helpful for you.
Not much weight at all, I agree, but for me its more of a space issue. Spares and the tools to go with them take up a good amount of space. Living an active lifestyle I can find so many more uses for that space, likewise with a lot of people I know living different lifestyles.

My Current Ride ~ 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

That is very true. Thankfully dealers do offer a paid roadside assistance package (typically) so at least we have that going for us. Just a bit of inconvenience in the worst case scenario but it can't possibly be that bad.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:20 AM

Just had a thought, if the cargo door open two ways, that means there's no way to install a power lift-gate on the TJ Cruiser as it'll have no idea which way to open.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page