"the rear is the new front" - Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

"the rear is the new front"

The more I look into what may be my next vehicle, the more i'm fascinated by how much of a lifestyle product it is. A big departure from everything else we've been used to (Honda Element, Jeep Renegade, Kia Soul, etc.).

Making up part of its lifestyle features is how versatile the rear cargo area is. Although this is a concept there's a level of practicality we have here for real-world application.

Let me know what you think!

Quote:
When it came time to pen the FT-4X, we discovered that the rear is the new front. It’s where you store your gear, and where you drink your hot cocoa.

With this in mind, we incorporated one of my favorite features: The versatile
Multi-Hatch rear door.

Sarah here is going to show us how this works.

It opens two ways, horizontally in Urban Mode for easier curbside gear loading when clearance is limited, and vertically in Outdoor Mode, creating an impromptu shelter from the elements -- perfect for any tailgate party.

On the inside of the Multi-Hatch are twin boxes: One warm, the other cold, perfect for stowing snacks or warming gloves.

The Rear Cargo Zone’s floor hides a deep weatherproof storage compartment underneath, and can be accessed both by lifting the floor up or by sliding it out, transforming the floor into a tray or seating area.

My Current Ride ~ 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 12:36 PM

It's pretty much a jack of all trades at this point with a built in cooler and warmer for storage. I think the black side panels open up too, so there's three ways to access the rear cargo area. If Toyota does follow this formula, the rear could the most versatile one we've ever seen on an SUV/Crossover.

I'm interested to see how the hinges work.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 12:58 PM

I think I read somewhere that those black panels can be removed and replaced with a glass piece of some sort. Not too sure why you would want to put a piece of glass there but I mean... at least you can?
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 09:00 AM

That's an odd switch and I can't imagine why someone would want the world to stare at their cargo, perfect for thieves who are scouting out their next target. There's a reason why privacy covers exists for SUV/crossover trunks.

I'm still stuck on the tailgate hinges, I only see two at the top and none on the sides.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughDay View Post
I think I read somewhere that those black panels can be removed and replaced with a glass piece of some sort. Not too sure why you would want to put a piece of glass there but I mean... at least you can?
Someone using it for food on a long trip could find that to be a good idea since its easier to see what you want before getting it, helping you to maintain temperature. But if you can provide a source to that information it would be great, hard to believe they would do that.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 09:23 AM

With how quirky the TJ Cruiser was designed to be, I actually wouldn't be surprised if the see through pane was true. But I haven't heard about it until this thread.

That slide out floor, wonder if it's heat resistant too, could use it as a cooktop with portable stove when camping and there's no table around.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
A vertical "picture window" set above the driver's side rear fender pays homage to Toyota's iconic Pickup Xtracab truck and first-generation 4Runner sport-utility vehicle. The window glass is removable and interchangeable, allowing you to personalize the FT-4X even further with multiple opaque color or tinted glass options.
Toyota's FT-4X Concept is designed for casual adventures | cleveland.com

@NY-TJ
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

That's not the same as what you originally mentioned, completely different. Glass used in the way they mentioned isn't replacing anything cargo area related.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoForLife View Post
It's pretty much a jack of all trades at this point with a built in cooler and warmer for storage. I think the black side panels open up too, so there's three ways to access the rear cargo area. If Toyota does follow this formula, the rear could the most versatile one we've ever seen on an SUV/Crossover.

I'm interested to see how the hinges work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughDay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-TJ View Post
That's not the same as what you originally mentioned, completely different. Glass used in the way they mentioned isn't replacing anything cargo area related.
This from the link I mentioned

Quote:
The window glass is removable and interchangeable, allowing you to personalize the FT-4X even further with multiple opaque color or tinted glass options.
I'm not too sure where you're going wrong here. The glass is located to the rear of the vehicle, which is, perpendicular to the cargo area.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 09:34 AM

But that's the piece of black paneling we see on the FT-4X concept in the cargo area. Don't see why anyone would want to go with a non-tinted piece when you can get it in black to match your tinted windows.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page