What Do You NOT Like ? - Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 153
What Do You NOT Like ?

We have a fair amount of threads on what we like or find interesting about the exterior and interior of the TJ Cruiser but what are the bits and pieces of the TJ that you don't like?

Is there anywhere that you see can be improved? Any areas that you want replaced completely?

I for one don't like the white roof, I know it does look paired well compared to many other two tone vehicles, but I think I'd prefer if the roof was black like the over fenders and quite frankly replace all of the white pieces with the black plastic.

What about you?
RoughDay is offline  
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 02:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 217
Ok this is going to be a big one.... I don't like the fact its design doesn't have enough of the old FJ's in it.
Understood that its not easy bringing classic design cues back again but it was sort of done with the FJ Cruiser... don't see why the TJ has to take on a different direction.

Are you happy with design?

My Current Ride ~ 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5
NY-TJ is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 09:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 200
I'm actually fine with the design even though it's somewhat removed from the FJ Cruiser. That model has been out of production for a few years and if Toyota finally does decide to produce the TJ a few more year may have passed. Styling changes according to the market unless it's the Jeep Wrangler.

What I don't like is the lack of fog lights and those headlights are tiny.
ToyoForLife is offline  
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 102
Size doesn't really matter too much when it comes to headlamps so long as the bulbs are bright. Wranglers have been using small sized headlights for years and they seem to work perfectly fine. But footlights, even the FJ didn't have those and depending on where you live they won't be used all that often. The point of those is to shoot a beam under the fog, but when you're sitting at a certain height, they may not work as well.
Backup is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 10:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backup View Post
Size doesn't really matter too much when it comes to headlamps so long as the bulbs are bright. Wranglers have been using small sized headlights for years and they seem to work perfectly fine. But footlights, even the FJ didn't have those and depending on where you live they won't be used all that often. The point of those is to shoot a beam under the fog, but when you're sitting at a certain height, they may not work as well.
Only issue I'll have with headlights if they are so low profile like the concept that I can't retrofit a set of protectors in them. Hopefully its big enough to allow that. Don't care for any special trim so odds are I will get base lighting.

My Current Ride ~ 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5
NY-TJ is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 09:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 102
There's always those headlight protective films you can install and most of the time that's enough to save your headlights from the odd debris scratch. But if you plan on going off-road a lot and may potentially roll over or hit a tree, then I can see where those protectors will come in handy.
Backup is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backup View Post
There's always those headlight protective films you can install and most of the time that's enough to save your headlights from the odd debris scratch. But if you plan on going off-road a lot and may potentially roll over or hit a tree, then I can see where those protectors will come in handy.
As much as I want think that we'll see people taking the TJ to those extreme's, I highly doubt it, instead we will see this concern coming more from people who just want to preserve the original finish or want to protect from bugs that accumulate on long road trips when going up to camping grounds.

My Current Ride ~ 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5
NY-TJ is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 12:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 200
TJ Cruisers will mostly see only the odd gravel and dirt trails. Some will be tempted to take theirs of road more than average, but that's a small group and Toyota seems to be trying to hit a larger market.
ToyoForLife is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 06:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoForLife View Post
TJ Cruisers will mostly see only the odd gravel and dirt trails. Some will be tempted to take theirs of road more than average, but that's a small group and Toyota seems to be trying to hit a larger market.
hopefully these have enough ground clearance to jump over curbs since already crossovers like the new Pathfinder can do that. don't want some family of 5 taking on some things that a TJ should, i think by now moot of us can agree that the TJ should be that capable.

My Current Ride ~ 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5
NY-TJ is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 08:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 102
The original FJ had amazing ground clearance too even though it wasn't made for hard off-roading and you can see the obvious advantage it has over the average SUV side-by-side. Wouldn't make sense to take that away and reduce the TJ to any other SUV.
Backup is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome