Toyota Next EV Leader? - Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Toyota Next EV Leader?

The problem with electric cars is the range of travel before you need to charge the batteries for a few hours. Time consuming and instills range anxiety in potential buyers. But Toyota may have the solution with the solid-state batteries they're working on. The next gen cars that'll put these batteries to use should debut around 2022, maybe that that point we'll have news of the TJ Cruiser or something similar being released.

These batteries will offer greater drive range per charge and have a recharge time of just a few minutes. Sounds a bit too good to be true, but if they can pull it off I'd be interested in an EV TJ Cruiser.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 03:58 PM

If Porsche is already working on putting out chargers that will charge their Porsche Mission E to 80% capacity in a mere 15 minutes, it doesn't seem too far fetched anymore that Toyota wants to develop a system that will give you more range and recharge in either the same amount of time or less. The battery and charging game is on a huge incline in terms of innovation and it's not going to stop here for a while. Everyone is going to play the range fighting game but still have significantly lower recharge times. We just have to sit back and see who does it best for what pricing.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 09:42 AM

Batteries are more important than charger tech at this point, at least for Toyota. Most chargers are not owned by automakers, but by third parties so charge rates differ. If Toyota's battery can avoid the dreaded charge taper, then it could potentiality charge faster than its lithium competitors.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 03:49 PM

One benefit of going for this type of battery is safety, Toyota is known for pushing the barriers on safety and using that for marketing purposes so we might see some of that being used once solid-state battery Toyotas come out. Being known as the maker of some of the safest and most efficient vehicles on the road is a big deal.

My Current Ride ~ 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 09:08 AM

Recent news indicate a new partnership between Mazda and Toyota to create a company centered around the development of electric cars based off of the Prius platform. Judging by Mazda's lineup, whatever they come out with won't be off-road oriented.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backup View Post
Recent news indicate a new partnership between Mazda and Toyota to create a company centered around the development of electric cars based off of the Prius platform. Judging by Mazda's lineup, whatever they come out with won't be off-road oriented.
If we just want to focus on something in the same segment as the TJ, then theres a chance they can do something with the prius platform. This segment can have mild off roaders that are built off platforms that didn't start out that way. but when you get into bigger segments, then its near impossible to do that.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

The Prius is so compact, I can't imagine a larger vehicle like the TJ Cruiser sitting on that platform and it'll need to be drastically modified to be more off-road friendly.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoForLife View Post
The Prius is so compact, I can't imagine a larger vehicle like the TJ Cruiser sitting on that platform and it'll need to be drastically modified to be more off-road friendly.
Just because one car on that platform was small I don't think that means all cars on that same platform will be subject to a similar wheelbase and dimensions. Should be some way to let them apply this to a range of vehicles because its how they can really make it cost efficient.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Perhaps I'm not familiar with platform modifications, but they'll need to stretch it out both horizontally and vertically while modifying it to support a taller standing body.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 10:59 PM

TNGA platform is a good example of this or at least should be because just reading of some models that will sit on this platform, I can imagine them having to make adjustments to the platform before using it on vastly different cars.

Quote:
The first of Toyota’s new TNGA-based vehicles will appear as early as this year, most likely starting with the next-generation Prius. Separate platforms will be developed for Toyota’s compact cars and large, front-wheel-drive models. A new platform for Toyota’s rear-wheel-drive models, most of them sold by Lexus, will also be developed. Toyota expects that by as early as 2020, half the vehicles it sells worldwide will use the new platforms.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page