$65,000+ for a classic FJ/Land Cruiser... - Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

$65,000+ for a classic FJ/Land Cruiser...

Couldn't help but look around the net at FJ's and older Land Cruisers for sale and the best thing happened, I came across a company that specializes in fully restored models as you will see by following this link to fj.co. Yeah $65,000+ is a lot of money for one of these but anyone who has worked on older cars will know how much easier this makes life. So which one and under what spec is it going to be for you guys?

This FJ43 is on my wishlist:

My Current Ride ~ 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 08:52 AM

Restorations are always going to cost an arm and a leg, not something I ever look into because of that. But that soft top 1978 FJ40 appeals to me and I'm surprised to see it running on the original Toyota 2F engine.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backup View Post
Restorations are always going to cost an arm and a leg, not something I ever look into because of that. But that soft top 1978 FJ40 appeals to me and I'm surprised to see it running on the original Toyota 2F engine.
Yup and funny enough its cheaper to have these guys do it since they have all the tools, knowledge and resources which for the average guy isn't that easy to come around unless you're really hands on and don't mind spending countless hours in the garage.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 08:16 PM

some people are content with just an average FJ40, seen my fair share of them on the road in not so great cosmetic shape but the owners love every minute behind the wheel which is what matters most anyways.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.p View Post
some people are content with just an average FJ40, seen my fair share of them on the road in not so great cosmetic shape but the owners love every minute behind the wheel which is what matters most anyways.
i noticed those attract the purist that just want to experience how those feel when driving much like anyone with a vehicle as old as those get, if that's what someone wants then who cares if the body is rusting away...adds a little character

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 09:14 AM

depends on the type of purist, there's the kind that doesn't mind a fixer upper and there are those who wants one without any rust and already restored. I'm of the latter group, but $65k for it is still prohibitively expensive.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoForLife View Post
depends on the type of purist, there's the kind that doesn't mind a fixer upper and there are those who wants one without any rust and already restored. I'm of the latter group, but $65k for it is still prohibitively expensive.
I guess some of that might depend on what you see in that $65k and what it could mean is a classic that doesn't suffer all the classic car issues and instead lets you just drive it as you would any new car. That to me is worth many payments over time rather than waiting for when I have the money saved up.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 09:22 AM

Since they have a "Sport" option on their site, would they be able to make a FJ Cruiser that can compete against the Wrangler?
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backup View Post
Since they have a "Sport" option on their site, would they be able to make a FJ Cruiser that can compete against the Wrangler?
They can I guess it just depends on how much the market wants a model spec'd like that. They serve a small niche of people already so going even smaller is a tough call.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 09:21 AM

But isn't that where a lot of profit can be made per unit? The niche market is probably where people are more willing to part with their money. But I would go for an entry-level restored classic FJ for a reasonable price if they ever offer something like that.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page