Toyota TJ Cruiser Concept Is A Toolbox On Wheels - Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Toyota TJ Cruiser Concept Is A Toolbox On Wheels

Toyota may have filed a trademark for the name TJ Cruiser and its concept model, named the FT-4X,
was revealed at the 2017 New York Auto, but that still doesn’t mean the concept will go into production. Though if the concept was brought to life for mass production, it could appeal to millennials and FJ Cruiser fans as a toolbox on off-road friendly wheels.

Sitting on the TNGA platform and similar in size to the CH-R, its body is 167.3 inches longer, 71.7 inches wider and 63.9 inches taller than its sibling. Potentially powering the FT-4X is a compact four-cylinder engine, which could be paired with a continuously variable transmission and all-wheel drive.

What sets the concept apart from crossovers already available on the market are all the nifty features it comes with. Especially in the rear and its Multi-Hatch, a tailgate that opens in two ways: horizontally in Urban Mode, and vertically in Outdoor Mode. If one opening isn’t enough, panels on either side of the cargo area can be removed for easier access.

Even the cabin is a work of engineering marvel; there are two storage boxes to keep your food warm or cold, rear door handles that can be used as water bottles, ceiling-mounted removable flashlight, and various floor materials to separate the cabin’s three zones.

That’s just a sliver of what the FT-4X is hiding and even though it was created to explore new design ideas, we’re still keeping our fingers crossed.

Last edited by TJ Cruiser News; 06-28-2017 at 09:01 AM.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
They enjoy venturing into to new neighborhoods and national parks, but hardly plan ahead.
This explains so much of why the TJ Cruiser was designed the way it is; to be prepared for anything in short notice in case you want to randomly go camping after work one day. Perfect for someone like me who's prone to winging certain things like weekend getaways or day trips. No worry about what I'm leaving behind if the cruiser is like a house on wheels.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 09:32 AM

The only thing it really has that enables you to venture off without planning ahead is a sleeping bag. There isn't really anything else that gives you a "sporadic getaway and be ready" type of feel though..? The water bottle, flashlight, and removable speaker doesn't really aid in the whole getting up and going thing.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 08:11 AM

Depends on the individual, I'm prone to storing a lot of things in my car for emergencies or random weekends away; blanket, candles, tent in the summer, extra clothes and toiletries, etc. The TJCruiser sounds like it could double as a closet on wheels with plenty of hidden storage space for the essentials.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 08:56 AM

In the regard of putting your own things inside of it, then yes definitely. There is a lot of storage and just with those things you've mentioned there, that'll all easily fit into the storage compartment seen in the floor of the back of the TJ Cruiser that we see in the concept. That and you'll still have a lot of room haha.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
et Zone, also characterized by all-weather mats (where passengers can stow damp swimsuits/snow clothing or muddy boots) and located just behind the front seats,
They should install a floor drain hole in this section, similar to the Wrangler, for easy cleaning if you're going to be throwing muddy objects there.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 09:12 AM

Just realized that the storage space inside if color codded; blue classifies closed storage, while orange indicates open storage. Didn't really see any blue storage
bins in Toyota's concept video, but there were plenty of orange areas including the dash.

That's actually a great use of space as I've always assumed that under the generic dash is a low of empty space without wiring.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 08:50 AM

Yep, mentioned that in the other thread somewhere I believe.

Based on what I'm reading off of this other site, apparently even the headlights can be removed and used as flashlights as well!

Toyota TJ Cruiser - oto nowy SUV - motogazeta mojeauto.pl
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 05:12 PM

This is the first time I'm hearing about the removable headlights and that sounds like a theft waiting to happen unless there's a way to lock them down. There's already flashlights built into the cabin, so I don't see the need for two external ones.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:07 AM

Some of the features seems questionable to me, especially the removable headlights because 9 times out of 10 people won't use it. So that will most likely not make it into production, same with the interior flashlights because a stocked car first aid kit will have one anyways.

Though I so hope they keep the cargo area's topside tracks for securing cargo and the slide out floor.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page