Toyota TJ Cruiser vs. Who? - Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Toyota TJ Cruiser vs. Who?

This thread will be used to discuss which vehicles the Toyota TJ Cruiser or FT-4X will be going up against, or being compared to.

As we know, currently in todays market and even prior to, the Jeep Wrangler has dominated the off-road scene and it still continues, and the Wrangler is even coming with a new generation called the JL.

BUT just because they've dominated sales, doesn't mean that the FJ cruiser wasn't capable at all or even "paled in comparison" to the Wrangler. It just didn't work out in sales for many a reasons otherwise.

When the FJ came out, it was strong in sales but that was followed by quite the decrease between 2006 and 2013 in NA at least.

What I'm getting to is that the Toyota FT-4X/TJ Cruiser, I think, Will be trying to take a stab at that Wrangler again and it may just do it this time around.

However, Not only will they be gearing up for the Wrangler. As some may know Ford is planning on producing a bit of a utilitarian and a blast from the past deemed the Ford Bronco.

So let's add that to the mix. Currently the only competitors I can see for the Toyota FT-4X/TJ Cruiser are the Ford Bronco and the Jeep Wrangler.

Do you think there are any other competitors in this very limited segment?
post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 12:40 PM

I don't even think the Wrangler and Bronco can compete with the TJ Cruiser when it comes to versatility and usability. The Toyota car is built like a swiss army knife with everything built in.

But if we're looking at off-road performance then the Wrangler may come out on top. Hard to judge based on a concept.
HeliDriver likes this.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

The best part is, with all of the features laid out for the TJ Cruiser, none of them are too over the top to get cut from the production model. Everything can definitely be in production spec. Yeah overall design could be different, but the bare bones of it and what it offers can all remain which will make it a lot more versatile and capable.

I think it'll be tough for anything to beat out the Wrangler in the off-road sector factory to factory though.

The Bronco could just prove to be the in between for both.
post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 02:59 PM

It's TJ vs Kia Soul vs Renegade. Wrangler and Bronco are in a segment above.

The biggest mistake people are making with this new concept is positioning it as a FJ successor, which its not. This is the baby FJ.

My Current Ride ~ 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

If we get anything similar to what the concept is, the Kia Soul is knocked off the list immediately for the reason that it'll be no where as capable and versatile as this is. The Renegade in Trailhawk form would be the competitor.
HeliDriver likes this.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 02:18 PM

Garage
Agree with RoughDay, However I would toss Subaru into the mix.

The Wrangler and Bronco are on a whole other level of off-road capabilities.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughDay View Post
If we get anything similar to what the concept is, the Kia Soul is knocked off the list immediately for the reason that it'll be no where as capable and versatile as this is. The Renegade in Trailhawk form would be the competitor.
Well, that will still depend on some other things like pricing.
Odds are out of the two, the Soul will be the best entry-level product.

However to directly rival the TJ, Hyundai is coming out with a CUV called the Kona.
No way Toyota will deliver on a lot of this stuff and make it a sub-$20k product.

post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

I feel like it's just too early to call the Soul a competitor as it's really just hanging by a thin line to see if it'll be there or not. Renegade has really high chances of it. The Kona that you mentioned, from the looks of it, looks like it'll be right there too. But even though pricing is going to be there, the TJ is going to be one of those niche products that's in the segment, but not really fighting the same battle if you know what I mean
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughDay View Post
I feel like it's just too early to call the Soul a competitor as it's really just hanging by a thin line to see if it'll be there or not. Renegade has really high chances of it. The Kona that you mentioned, from the looks of it, looks like it'll be right there too. But even though pricing is going to be there, the TJ is going to be one of those niche products that's in the segment, but not really fighting the same battle if you know what I mean
Not early at all when we know for a fact it sits in the same segment, its just a matter of which trims we are comparing. From the looks of it, if you want to keep price as close as possible, it will be a higher trim Soul vs a basemodel TJ for starters.

basemodel Soul will likely be the cheapest in the segment as it remains.

post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Okay set aside price and look at it pound for pound. What are you getting with the TJ Cruiser and what is it capable of versus what you get with the Soul and what that's capable of. Off of that alone, you can tell they're distant competitors yes, but the same people looking at the TJ aren't looking at the Soul as an option.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page