Toyota TJ solves CH-R woes? - Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 14
Arrow Toyota TJ solves CH-R woes?

The more you look into where the CH-R falls short and what the TJ/FT-4X is positioned to do, its easy to see the problems it can solve.

I'll save you guys some homework, here's a run down of the CH-R:
  • inconvenient rear passenger door handle position
  • small rear passenger windows (via coupe styling)
  • ONLY a black interior
  • ONLY front-wheel drive
  • lacks entune infotainment (toyota's latest tech)
  • poor power-to-weight ratio
  • heavy steering feel

Don't get me wrong, the CH-R is a good product, not great. But some areas where it falls short makes you question what Toyota had in mind.
john.p is offline  
post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 03:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 200
While the C-HR has style in spades, it lacked in everything else. The initial feeling of awe I had was quickly squashed by its poor performance and dingy rear passenger seats. Doubtful the TJ Cruiser will look very similar to the concept, but maybe it'll take after the 4Runner a bit in terms of styling.
ToyoForLife is offline  
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 04:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.p View Post
The more you look into where the CH-R falls short and what the TJ/FT-4X is positioned to do, its easy to see the problems it can solve.

I'll save you guys some homework, here's a run down of the CH-R:
  • inconvenient rear passenger door handle position
  • small rear passenger windows (via coupe styling)
  • ONLY a black interior
  • ONLY front-wheel drive
  • lacks entune infotainment (toyota's latest tech)
  • poor power-to-weight ratio
  • heavy steering feel

Don't get me wrong, the CH-R is a good product, not great. But some areas where it falls short makes you question what Toyota had in mind.
Good thing that you mentioned that as the concept for the TJ Cruiser actually has something very similar to it. Really awkward, high up, rear door handle.


Last edited by RoughDay; 05-31-2017 at 04:22 PM.
RoughDay is offline  
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 06:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 217
I heard a lot about the poor power output of that 2.0 engine. It's a massive downfall to the CH-R. Lucky for Toyota they have been getting a lot of interest purely off of design. To the average buyer a CH-R is perfect, they won't pick at these things as much as we do.

My Current Ride ~ 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5
NY-TJ is offline  
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 200
That door handle is nice for keeping the rear doors clean looking, but not much else and I'd prefer the old school handles you don't need to reach upwards and twist your wrist to grab.

Toyota most likely knows that old FJ owners could potentially be their biggest TJ market. That crowd won't go for sub-par performance that feels like it struggles on acceleration.
ToyoForLife is offline  
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 12:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoForLife View Post
Toyota most likely knows that old FJ owners could potentially be their biggest TJ market. That crowd won't go for sub-par performance that feels like it struggles on acceleration.
Wrong.

FJ is in an entirely different segment. FJ owners probably hate the TJ because it doesn't offer them anywhere near the capability the FJ does. TJ is just Toyota's way to fit in the Renegades segment. If it wasn't for the Renegades success I doubt Toyota would be doing this.

My Current Ride ~ 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5
NY-TJ is offline  
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 153
It's almost like the same way Wrangler owners feel about Renegades. They look at them like toys that aren't capable of anything even though the Trailhawks really aren't that bad at all.
RoughDay is offline  
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 200
I see the Renegade and TJ Cruiser as entry models to the world of off-roading, if they enjoy what those can do and want more then they can upgrade to more adventurous models.

But Toyota will definitely have an off-road trim for the TJ Cruiser and that should be more than adequate for most.
ToyoForLife is offline  
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoForLife View Post
I see the Renegade and TJ Cruiser as entry models to the world of off-roading, if they enjoy what those can do and want more then they can upgrade to more adventurous models.

But Toyota will definitely have an off-road trim for the TJ Cruiser and that should be more than adequate for most.
TRD trims have been getting good feedback so it should happen. A lot of people love the TRD 4Runner, TRD Tacoma and TRD Tundra. But even those aren't that attainable, TJ TRD should become a hit.

My Current Ride ~ 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5
NY-TJ is offline  
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 200
If the TJ Cruiser does get a TRD trim, it could come standard with TRD Bilstein high performance shocks with TRD-tuned springs. Of course there's going to be skid plates too.
ToyoForLife is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota TJ Cruiser vs. Who? RoughDay 2018+ Toyota TJ Cruiser Versus the Competition 56 10-13-2017 09:05 AM
Toyota TJ Cruiser Could be Brand’s Next Crossover TeeJayAdmin 2018+ Toyota TJ Cruiser News 3 10-12-2017 09:27 AM
Toyota TJ Cruiser Pricing john.p Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum Ordering and Purchasing 39 09-18-2017 08:41 PM
Toyota TJ Cruiser Tires RoughDay Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension 13 08-01-2017 04:59 PM
Toyota FT-4X Missing Something? RoughDay Electronics, Audio, and Lighting 0 05-31-2017 02:27 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome