Toyota TJ solves CH-R woes? - Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Arrow Toyota TJ solves CH-R woes?

The more you look into where the CH-R falls short and what the TJ/FT-4X is positioned to do, its easy to see the problems it can solve.

I'll save you guys some homework, here's a run down of the CH-R:
  • inconvenient rear passenger door handle position
  • small rear passenger windows (via coupe styling)
  • ONLY a black interior
  • ONLY front-wheel drive
  • lacks entune infotainment (toyota's latest tech)
  • poor power-to-weight ratio
  • heavy steering feel

Don't get me wrong, the CH-R is a good product, not great. But some areas where it falls short makes you question what Toyota had in mind.
post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 03:08 PM

While the C-HR has style in spades, it lacked in everything else. The initial feeling of awe I had was quickly squashed by its poor performance and dingy rear passenger seats. Doubtful the TJ Cruiser will look very similar to the concept, but maybe it'll take after the 4Runner a bit in terms of styling.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.p View Post
The more you look into where the CH-R falls short and what the TJ/FT-4X is positioned to do, its easy to see the problems it can solve.

I'll save you guys some homework, here's a run down of the CH-R:
  • inconvenient rear passenger door handle position
  • small rear passenger windows (via coupe styling)
  • ONLY a black interior
  • ONLY front-wheel drive
  • lacks entune infotainment (toyota's latest tech)
  • poor power-to-weight ratio
  • heavy steering feel

Don't get me wrong, the CH-R is a good product, not great. But some areas where it falls short makes you question what Toyota had in mind.
Good thing that you mentioned that as the concept for the TJ Cruiser actually has something very similar to it. Really awkward, high up, rear door handle.

Last edited by RoughDay; 05-31-2017 at 04:22 PM.
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 06:43 PM

I heard a lot about the poor power output of that 2.0 engine. It's a massive downfall to the CH-R. Lucky for Toyota they have been getting a lot of interest purely off of design. To the average buyer a CH-R is perfect, they won't pick at these things as much as we do.

My Current Ride ~ 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:08 AM

That door handle is nice for keeping the rear doors clean looking, but not much else and I'd prefer the old school handles you don't need to reach upwards and twist your wrist to grab.

Toyota most likely knows that old FJ owners could potentially be their biggest TJ market. That crowd won't go for sub-par performance that feels like it struggles on acceleration.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoForLife View Post
Toyota most likely knows that old FJ owners could potentially be their biggest TJ market. That crowd won't go for sub-par performance that feels like it struggles on acceleration.
Wrong.

FJ is in an entirely different segment. FJ owners probably hate the TJ because it doesn't offer them anywhere near the capability the FJ does. TJ is just Toyota's way to fit in the Renegades segment. If it wasn't for the Renegades success I doubt Toyota would be doing this.

post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:21 AM

It's almost like the same way Wrangler owners feel about Renegades. They look at them like toys that aren't capable of anything even though the Trailhawks really aren't that bad at all.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:18 AM

I see the Renegade and TJ Cruiser as entry models to the world of off-roading, if they enjoy what those can do and want more then they can upgrade to more adventurous models.

But Toyota will definitely have an off-road trim for the TJ Cruiser and that should be more than adequate for most.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoForLife View Post
I see the Renegade and TJ Cruiser as entry models to the world of off-roading, if they enjoy what those can do and want more then they can upgrade to more adventurous models.

But Toyota will definitely have an off-road trim for the TJ Cruiser and that should be more than adequate for most.
TRD trims have been getting good feedback so it should happen. A lot of people love the TRD 4Runner, TRD Tacoma and TRD Tundra. But even those aren't that attainable, TJ TRD should become a hit.

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:34 AM

If the TJ Cruiser does get a TRD trim, it could come standard with TRD Bilstein high performance shocks with TRD-tuned springs. Of course there's going to be skid plates too.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page