Return of the Scion xB - Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Return of the Scion xB

I read posts here suggesting the TJ is a replacement for the FJ -- I think most of you see that as wide of the mark.

I'm here to assert that the TJ is a revived Scion xB, updating 4WD and CVT from the Japan-market variant (Toyota Corolla Rumion 1.8S 4WD CVT), and employing an engine commensurate with the xB's 158 horsepower.

The Scion xB was designed by Toyota's US Calty Design and the FT4X/TJ is also by Calty.

The young, urban Casualcore consumer, the stated FT4X audience, was Scion's bread and butter market, and the xB was Scion's longest running product before Toyota EOL-ed it for 2016.

The xB and TJ will be compete in roughly the same price segment.

To wit, Toyota has called upon Calty Design to refresh the Scion xB -- the box on wheels -- to once again appeal to young, urban Causualcore automotive consumers.

Will you buy a ticket for the 'Return of the Scion xB' show?

Tell me why I'm wrong about this.
HeliDriver likes this.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 09:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
I read posts here suggesting the TJ is a replacement for the FJ -- I think most of you see that as wide of the mark.

I'm here to assert that the TJ is a revived Scion xB, updating 4WD and CVT from the Japan-market variant (Toyota Corolla Rumion 1.8S 4WD CVT), and employing an engine commensurate with the xB's 158 horsepower.

The Scion xB was designed by Toyota's US Calty Design and the FT4X/TJ is also by Calty.

The young, urban Casualcore consumer, the stated FT4X audience, was Scion's bread and butter market, and the xB was Scion's longest running product before Toyota EOL-ed it for 2016.

The xB and TJ will be compete in roughly the same price segment.

To wit, Toyota has called upon Calty Design to refresh the Scion xB -- the box on wheels -- to once again appeal to young, urban Causualcore automotive consumers.

Will you buy a ticket for the 'Return of the Scion xB' show?

Tell me why I'm wrong about this.

You make a valid argument here, I find myself wandering why Toyota would introduce two newly designed crossovers into the same market only one or two years apart.

2014 FJ TTUE, Fox 2.5 DSC shocks front and rear, Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines Front and Rear, Allpro UCA's, Allpro front bumper & 9.5 Warn winch with synthetic cable and factor 55 link, Metal-Tech Red Eye rear bumper, Stock Sliders, Warrior rack, Safari Snorkel and TRD intake, Bushwacker Pocket Style Flares, M-Pac Springtail barrier- rear door, saddle bags and side storage, ICON Shift Knobs. BFG 315/75 KO2's on fuel wheels with 1.25" Spacers.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 09:26 AM

Didn't know the TJ Cruiser concept was designed by the same guys as Scion xB, though they seem to be built for different purposes even though their target demographic is similar.

I'm a bit confused, is Toyota refreshing the Scion xB and considering the TJ Cruiser on top of it?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 08:37 AM

I always did think Scion cars were generally odd looking, never a fan aside from the FRS. The badge has since died and the XB with it, so there's still space for the TJ cruiser even if the crossover's refresh is very close to the TJ concept's debut.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backup View Post
I always did think Scion cars were generally odd looking, never a fan aside from the FRS. The badge has since died and the XB with it, so there's still space for the TJ cruiser even if the crossover's refresh is very close to the TJ concept's debut.
thats because models like the xB was a test to see if what worked in Japan will work in North America and now we know that answer sadly, this whole time toyota was better off keeping all models under toyota and repeating what they did in the 90`s.... which funny enough is returning now... its the 90`s all over again

My Current Ride ~ 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 08:53 AM

Scion proved that people like quirky cars, their odd cube one was a success, but they didn't manage to repeat it. After a few years of seeing the same few design elements, guess we're all just tired of it and want something different and that's where the FJ came in. Too bad it was so short lived and now Toyota is channeling its inner Scion, literally since the brand was absorbed into the parent company, and came out with the C-HR. Maybe the TJ is next.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 09:13 AM

The thing with the Scion XB is ow limiting its body seems. Sitting so close to the ground with such an oddly large looking body. If it was more compact like the TJ Cruiser concept and sat a bit higher, it could have been a success.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
The thing with the Scion XB is ow limiting its body seems. Sitting so close to the ground with such an oddly large looking body. If it was more compact like the TJ Cruiser concept and sat a bit higher, it could have been a success.
Well the TJ is based off Toyota's whole idea of off roaders which the FJ line up consisted of all these years. It will have to serve entirely different purposes

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 09:26 AM

Just had a thought, Toyota is basing a lot of their new cars on the Toyota New Global Architecture and it wasn't used for the Scion. So it's not really a return when the new platform is more rigid to boosts vehicle performance and ride quality.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Just had a thought, Toyota is basing a lot of their new cars on the Toyota New Global Architecture and it wasn't used for the Scion. So it's not really a return when the new platform is more rigid to boosts vehicle performance and ride quality.
Even it it used the same platform the TJ is still a very different product. Scion xB was more of a very basic CUV, meanwhile the TJ is set out to be a true off roader. Its like comparing a Wrangler to a Chrysler Caliber

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page