Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum banner

Missed Chance

6K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  NY-TJ 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

Back when Toyota was still selling Toyota FJ Cruisers, I didn't even know it existed nor did I have the funds to buy it even if I knew about it. But after spotting it on the streets and doing a bit of research I found out that they don't even produce them anymore and it'd be nice if I can get something similar like the TJ Cruiser. Don't need all those modular features, just something that looks rustic, sits high, and drives well both on and off road.

Hopefully, toyota gives the TJ a thumbs up for production.

#3 ·
buying used is a great idea since often when a car has been on the market for 7+ years like the FJ, buying one of the last production years gives you the best of it. if modifying matters to you then FJ is even more of a reason to get one, TJ's aftermarket will take time to grow.

#4 ·
I'm hoping we can get the TJ to squat like this!!! Might have to disconnect the sway bars though.

Attachments

#6 ·
Lol!!! That's when things get interesting for sure, but you won't get a taste of the danger zone any other way!!!

I figure it's not a race car and I don't drive it like one, the adjustable dampening shocks let me compensate for the body roll with the sway bars removed.

#7 ·
I'm more likely to drive a vehicle as is from factory than make my own adjustments, at least until after the warranty has run out. It's going to take some adjusting driving around in a taller vehicle when I'm more used to making quick turns in a short sedan.

But sitting so high up does have its benefits and just the sheer versatility of something like the FJ and TJ has me sold.

#8 ·
You can always consider sticking to the type of modifications and accessories that when undone, show no sign that changes were made.
Seen some of this take place and its amazing how far people get and still not void warranty. In our case wheels and suspension will be doable.

#10 ·
I'd like to see the TJ concept in action as well, with how much Toyota touted it as the perfect on and off road vehicle, just revealing it on a stage doesn't seem to do it much justice. Just to see how it'll handle corners, turn radius, etc would be nice. I actually wouldn't mind getting more ground clearance compared to a sedan, doesn't have to be exactly what I see on Wranglers, but a substantial difference.

#11 ·
if some of that is what you will expect from a production model you will own, be prepared to pay up because base models will likely be as basic as a base Renegade gets, even if you look at the base tacoma and base 4 runner, those tell you the whole story.

#12 ·
Either way there would be no way that they would be putting the concept into action. Concepts never get shown being used at all because a lot of what you see, isn't going to be what you get. Often enough concepts may not even have engines in them so that's another thing to really think about.

#13 ·
I know that, but ideas from the concept can make their way into production models but take on a different form. Just about all the Toyota/Lexus concepts with production versions that have come out over the past few years are great examples of that.

#16 ·
But you said "I'd like to see the TJ concept in action as well" which at that point, there would be no trim level because it is what it is - a concept, and they would never show it in action at all because it could either just not be physically capable of doing anything, or whatever is on it is not all production spec and it's essentially pointless to put the concept vehicle to use in front of an audience

#17 ·
Wish other car companies would follow Jaguar and their concept cars, they let people drive the I-Pace concept around. We just need the confirmation from Toyota! If dealerships are trying to buy back the FJ for resale, there's obviously a market that's willing to pay for it.

#19 ·
Let me test that sucker, we'll find the weak spots and things that may need changing!!

#21 ·
I'm thinking this will just go hybrid as its only green option. If Toyota is like all the other car makers then creating a model that starts life as a fully electric model, then that discounts the TJ. They already proved that with the mirai

#22 ·
The problem with the Mirai was how scarce hydrogen fueling stations were, even worse than electric. But a pure EV halo would be better than trying to come out with an all electric TJ. I'd be very happy with a hybrid actually, no need to worry about running out of charge and getting stranded thanks to the fuel engine.

#23 ·
You'd only get stranded with very poor planning in an EV. Part of owning an EV is planning ahead at all times to ensure that you always have enough to get back home and not require a flat bed. With the amount of charging stations located everywhere and growing, it'll be hard to get stranded somewhere

#25 ·
I've been recently feeling like I missed my chance to purchase a new FJ as well. Been more aware recently and noticed a large amount of FJ cruisers roaming around. Makes me envious of what they have and just how noticeable they are when stuck on traffic with other bland vehicles.

#26 ·
Plenty of lower mileage FJ's around and on the market. Try not to let not being able to get a new one scare you away, my first one was a 2011 and I bought it in 2015 with 15K miles on it. It was basically brand new and was a great one to cut my teeth on. One thing to note, if you do go down that road stick with looking a clean ones still in stock form and build it the way you want it. Once you start modifying it the maintenance and the cost to maintain it will increase dramatically especially if you start using it for what it was intended. Those suckers were built for some serious off-road use and will virtually take you anywhere you want to go.

Ask lots of questions, find one you like and pull the trigger.

#27 ·
Just a matter of looking for them and with the new Jeep Wrangler coming out there should be more of them popping up along with a reduction in price. This will be an iconic model that will be worth getting regardless of when you buy in, so if you really want it, you can't go wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.