Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum banner

It's official RAV4 to debut in New York

8K views 35 replies 8 participants last post by  ToyoForLife 
#1 ·
#7 ·
#8 ·
He doesn't seem very informed since he doesn't mention that the FT-AC is essentially the new RAV4. He doesn't need to give us his guesses as to what it will look like. The only thing he got right is that it doesn't need a teaser.

He just hates the RAV4 to begin with, so that is the whole story with him.

#9 ·
Jalopnik is where I go for entertainment pieces and not much else. They don't try to hide their bias for or against models so I take their articles with a grain of salt.
Speaking of the teaser, its overall proportions doesn't seem to have been changed much aside from the front end nip. Even adjusting the picture's brightness doesn't reveal much.

#13 ·
I thought about bringing this photo over here earlier, but it is so far off from what the RAV4 will look like, I passed.
I wish I had the guys job that drew this.....easy money for incompetence. Especially since it was already KNOWN, with a few trim changes, that the FT-AC was the next RAV4.

So you can relax Pathmaker....the new RAV4 will not look like this in the slightest. :smile:

#12 ·
There are so many things wrong with that front facia it shorted out my brain for a second. They need a new rendering artist...
Everything else past the A-pillar looks great especially the beefy wheel arches. But that face is the stuff of nightmares, like that smiling clown from the movie "IT".

#17 ·
Sheesh....Here is another stupid article. How is it possible that I know more than these writers do? They don't even do research before releasing their articles.

Get this line......"The current model is one of the few compact crossovers still available with a V6. While it would be great for that engine to carry over, we're not getting our hopes up."

Hmm....the RAV4 hasn't come with a V6 since 2012. A basic fact that any professional car writer should know.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/13/2019-toyota-rav4-debut-new-york/

#19 ·
I'm liking those engine specs and I hope that is indeed what we see in the new Rav4. Wouldn't be surprising to see a hybrid powertrain option, as that should provide some boosts to offroad performance. Don't know how likely it is that we get a 6 spd manual here in the U.S, but I would welcome it.

#23 · (Edited)
I remember a few years ago, I rented a small Chevy with a CVT. I pulled into traffic and punched it to get up to speed. It scared the heck out of me because it just bogged down and hung at slow speed.

Toyota promises a new CVT with more punch getting under way. Good to see a company address this issue with CVTs.

Subaru is discontinuing manuals on the Crosstrek. Apparently they were slow sellers.

#26 ·
I have had to manual trans WRXs and in snow and on icy roads gearing down is much, much safer than applying your brakes. Too bad how fast manuals are disappearing such an engaging, fun way to drive. Nice to see Tacomas, Wranglers, BMW and VW are still offering them.

#27 ·
I think that manuals still have a place in performance and off road oriented vehicles, regardless of the way the segments are moving. I never would have thought that the even the new Supra would be limited to a DCT, a real indication of how driver preferences are changing.

#28 ·
I for one would never buy a Wrangler without a stick shift. I think that Jeep's will be among the last models that are available standard, regardless of how uncommon they become. I can understand why the Supra has been set up with a DCT, as that car is all about performance.

#29 ·
Eventually you will have to get used to having only an automatic and just maybe the basemodel with a manual. So far that's what Toyota has done and globally they are the biggest player in the off-road game. Over time as Jeep introduces more self-driving tech, Wranglers will see further changes to its transmissions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.