Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like it is official, the 2019 Wrangler and the truck variant ( Scrambler ) will be offered with a turbo diesel.

Got a look at some CAD drawings for the frame and axels, looks like it will have beefed up Dana's front and rear.
The diesel option may cure some of the reliability issues that still plagues the Wrangler.

May be a good option to replace the FJ if Toyota continues to sit on their thumbs in the purpose built 4X4 segment.

What say you all on the subject?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Always did like the Jeep Wrangler and just how versatile they are, but there still remains the question of reliability. Wouldn't want a vehicle that's at the dealership more than on the road.

But the new Wrangler JL has so many new features and upgrades going for it, like the three new roof options.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Speaking of roof, if the TJ Cruiser does comes out, we may get removable roof panels because that seems to be the new thing with Jeep.

·
Registered
346 Posts
At one point I was interested in the future Wrangler truck till i seen and heard that it will only come as a full size pick up and nothing like some of the JK8's from years ago. Although I won't mind re-configuring the rear section of an Unlimited if its still the same as JK's.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I know Toyota wouldn't want to copy the Wrangler, but wouldn't it be fun if the TJ Cruiser's door could be removed as well?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't know if people even want it because all these years no one has said a thing, they care more about all the durability Toyota brings to the table rather than just pure coolness which Jeep can often peddle off. Personally I rather have Toyota be Toyota, so far they're doing that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't know if people even want it because all these years no one has said a thing, they care more about all the durability Toyota brings to the table rather than just pure coolness which Jeep can often peddle off. Personally I rather have Toyota be Toyota, so far they're doing that.
then there comes in the whole legal side to it which if you ask me is not worth it
I drive a lot and would be exposed to a lot of cops from different departments, not all of them will like the no door idea.

plus with the valuables i typically keep in my cars, don't want that to go missing on stop-overs.

·
Registered
346 Posts
for that you should check out the local highway traffic act since that will state all you need to know or you can just risk it and wait till a cop stops you, personally i just rather wait for cops to tell me about it. The worst they will probably do is issue a warning to correct the issue within a certain timeframe.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well I wouldn't want Toyota to compromise their vehicle reliability just for some removable doors since the integrity of their cars is why I like the brand so much. Without that, they'll just be another car manufacturer to me. Just a thought that it'd be fun as I've never sat in a Wrangler without doors before and assume it's similar to driving a convertible.

·
Registered
309 Posts
By doing so Toyota would be challenging the Wrangler with the TJ Cruiser and that's a fight they'll lose when it comes to off road capabilities. It's a challenge Toyota shouldn't issue.

·
Registered
309 Posts
That does seem to be where the market is turning to unless you're Jeep, but even if the initial offering is more city oriented, that doesn't mean there can't be an off-road trim in the future.

·
Registered
346 Posts
We might have to start looking at models like the 4Runner, Hilux, Tacoma and Prado to get an idea of what might find its way in the TJ. Toyota loves part sharing and those models should have some relevance here.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Two of those are pickups, not something I really need and the 4Runner is just huge. If only we had a more rugged version of the C-HR since it's the perfect size for city dwellers.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Two of those are pickups, not something I really need and the 4Runner is just huge. If only we had a more rugged version of the C-HR since it's the perfect size for city dwellers.
A slight off-road offering can be made but it will probably be more show and any amount of go, plus that's not what the CH-R is about, plus they would be better off pushing some sporty angle with it rather than off-road, no better model to give an even better sporty edge.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Maybe a more rugged Rav4? There really isn't much out there in terms of small utility vehicles outside of Jeep and that's just sad.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well there is the 2018 Toyota RAV4 Adventure, which is essentially a Rav 4 with underbody armor, fender flares, a lift kit, upgraded radiator, oil and transmission coolers. But you'll have to get larger wheels on your own.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, with the news of the new TJ Cruiser concept I am even more interested in the Jeep Scrambler with the diesel power plant!!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well, with the news of the new TJ Cruiser concept I am even more interested in the Jeep Scrambler with the diesel power plant!!!

Tell me about it but at the same time i will be waiting to see what the next tundra is like because I heard they might have some big things in store for us. My budget might alllow for going that direction.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts