Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
last I checked a 2 liter 4 cylinder engine is medium-sized, so that negates us getting the CH-R's engine. If true, i'm glad that's the case because people have been complaining about power.

185 torque coming in around 1,500-4000 will give this all the get up and go it needs.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just realized that the unit of measure above is in Nm and not lb-ft in which case that translates to it coming with ~136 lb-ft of torque which is quite sad. The Civics 1.5T produces 177lb-ft @ 1900rpm and that's in a small sedan. Something like this will need more power in my opinion.
Looking at models this will compete with, Kia Soul being one of them, its easy to see how well this 1.2T works in a basemodel or even a trim above. Its a city car after all. Then there's the fact that we don't know what further changes Toyota has planned for it. For all we know it could be making 15% more power and torque in the TJ.

·
Registered
348 Posts
That displacement engine might be too big since 2.5L is about the biggest you can get with a 4-cylinder engine. This being a product built to last another 7-8 years its not what would be suitable. Smaller displacement with turbos to make up for the lack of displacement is what they'll do.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Ford was notorious for this, although the rise of EcoBoost engines seem good to us and to the environmental regulators, on the flip side, tech's are seeing a whole different story. Toyota has had time to learn from that so maybe we'll be better off here?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I assume we shouldn't see the same problem in whatever small displacement four-cylinder engine Toyota decides to use. Maybe by the time the TJ Cruiser comes out, they would have developed a new engine.

Or could they borrow something from their sibling brand Lexus?
Well the 8NR-FTS 1.2T is one of them and part of their whole effort to build global platforms and global vehicles. Get used to seeing engines like that since its what they can use across enough models you count with your fingers. In the automotive world that's a lot.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If toyota does decide to go with a diesel option, we most likely won't see it in NA and it could be a Europe/Asia only model. Any specific diesel engine you're hoping to see?
They might not even need to since if the CH-R can get up to 31mpg's while not running a diesel, then we might be out of luck. I think the CH-R is a better product for a diesel. Then there are all the regulatory things in the future Toyota might be factoring in.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I know Toyota makes a few small diesels and not too sure why they haven't pushed them in the NA market, but they are falling behind in the NA diesel market. If you can get a Canyon with a diesel in it or a Cobalt, It's time for Toyota to break out into this market.
It might have something to do with the next generation Tundra to give Toyota Diesels a good image before introducing it into smaller models? Not sure. The other thing is maybe they still see potential for more efficient gasoline engines in North America? Mazda has done it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
That's hoping that the TJ Cruiser will make it that far along. So as for right now, I'm not really looking towards or hoping for a full-electric model. We still have tons of time to see how it all plays out
Unless they put an electric powertrain in a car built for that purpose like they have with previous alternative power plants. The same thing happens elsewhere in the auto industry. What's to say they will start something different?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts