Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
What about the 2.5-Liter 4-Cylinder DOHC in the camry? That thing in the sedan is rated for 178 hp @ 6000 rpm and 170 lb-ft @ 4100 rpm, not too bad and maybe it can be tuned for more lower end torque?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I believe the 2017 Camry gets an estimated 24/33 mpg, not bad considering how beefy the sedan is. Could see something similar in the TJ Cruiser and I assume most people looking for weekend getaway car like it wouldn't look too closely at the fuel ratings. We can also look at what the 2018 Camry is going to be offered with.

·
Registered
309 Posts
What was wrong with the EcoBoost engines? I assumed long term reliability would be on par with the average engine so long as people don't tune it for more power.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I assume we shouldn't see the same problem in whatever small displacement four-cylinder engine Toyota decides to use. Maybe by the time the TJ Cruiser comes out, they would have developed a new engine.

Or could they borrow something from their sibling brand Lexus?

·
Registered
309 Posts
If toyota does decide to go with a diesel option, we most likely won't see it in NA and it could be a Europe/Asia only model. Any specific diesel engine you're hoping to see?

·
Registered
309 Posts
The lack of diesel is partly due to the NA market, at least when it comes to models outside of the truck segment. Maybe buyers just aren't as receptive of them compared to Europe where it's normal to see them everywhere.

So we'll most likely be getting petrol options only in NA and maybe toyota will release a diesel model in Europe.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not just diesel, France is banning all cars with internal combustion engines by 2040. So manufacturers will need to speed up their EV development before 2040 to enter the French market. I'm all for innovation so I don't see a problem with this, though I'm sure car companies aren't happy about it.

But off-road friendly models like the TJ Cruiser will be among the last models to get an all electric variant, so a small displacement petrol engine is the more likely option.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The FT-4X name most likely won't stick and was probably made up of different features on the concept. Seems like a mouthful for the average buyer anyways so I can see the TJ Cruiser being a better badge alternative.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts