Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
The lack of diesel is partly due to the NA market, at least when it comes to models outside of the truck segment. Maybe buyers just aren't as receptive of them compared to Europe where it's normal to see them everywhere.

So we'll most likely be getting petrol options only in NA and maybe toyota will release a diesel model in Europe.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not just diesel, France is banning all cars with internal combustion engines by 2040. So manufacturers will need to speed up their EV development before 2040 to enter the French market. I'm all for innovation so I don't see a problem with this, though I'm sure car companies aren't happy about it.

But off-road friendly models like the TJ Cruiser will be among the last models to get an all electric variant, so a small displacement petrol engine is the more likely option.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That's hoping that the TJ Cruiser will make it that far along. So as for right now, I'm not really looking towards or hoping for a full-electric model. We still have tons of time to see how it all plays out

·
Registered
348 Posts
That's hoping that the TJ Cruiser will make it that far along. So as for right now, I'm not really looking towards or hoping for a full-electric model. We still have tons of time to see how it all plays out
Unless they put an electric powertrain in a car built for that purpose like they have with previous alternative power plants. The same thing happens elsewhere in the auto industry. What's to say they will start something different?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Maybe we can keep an eye out for future small displacement engines from Toyota and see if those will be viable in a vehicle like the TJ cruiser. Unless a definitive TJ announcement is made by Toyota before then.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Maybe we can keep an eye out for future small displacement engines from Toyota and see if those will be viable in a vehicle like the TJ cruiser. Unless a definitive TJ announcement is made by Toyota before then.
Agreed, this concept is so far out of bounds compared to the others it will be competing with in the same class. Toyota may have something new in mind that will help move it into the future.

Have they officially named this model the TJ Cruiser?

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Indeed..

So I would presume it's safe to say that it'll be called the TJ Cruiser. But of course, nothing is set in stone so "it could be anything"

·
Registered
309 Posts
The FT-4X name most likely won't stick and was probably made up of different features on the concept. Seems like a mouthful for the average buyer anyways so I can see the TJ Cruiser being a better badge alternative.

·
Registered
153 Posts
FT-4x guaranteed won't be sticking that's a for sure. It's just the designations they use for their concepts. FT-4x, FT-1, FT-86, etc.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts