Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum banner
41 - 60 of 104 Posts

· Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Some publication out there needs to get a Toyota exec in for an interview, I have noticed with those we can get some slight hint at what's to come or at least what they're willing to bring to market vs some alternative.
Hollis has been doing interviews. He has to have known that the FT-AC was actually the new RAV4 and didn't reveal that. He just hinted that it might be produced as some sort of new model. So I don't expect any new interview to reveal more unless it fits their time table for releasing new models and info. All car companies play this game.

I guess they know what they are doing, but I share your frustration for solid news.

· Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Not surprising to hear that the FT-4X is the next generation of the FJ cruiser. Those trucks are extremely difficult to find as most people have held on to theirs. I have a good feeling this redesign will attract a lot of new buyers, suppose its a matter of time before we see what's changed in the production model .
This is where things get fuzzy and garbled from Toyota. On the one hand they seem to be implying it's going to be the rugged succesor to the FJ and be in that class.
On the other hand a press release from Tuesday said.... (bold type my doing)

"The Toyota FT-4X Concept or “Future Toyota”—Four Wheel Drive Crossover—is a modern toolbox for today’s city driver. The vehicle was designed by Toyota’s Calty Design Research, Inc. in Newport Beach, California and inspired by Toyota’s iconic adventure vehicles. With a long list of unique functionalities and Rugged Charm compact design, it helps drivers achieve Casualcore—rather than hardcore—outings and move from the city to adventure seamlessly."

This is not the new FJ.

· Registered
127 Posts
Wouldn't it be great if we could just get solid confirmation or denial on whether or not this concept has been confirmed for production. I don't know why they would green light the FT-AC and not the FT-4X. Perhaps there was a much bigger response to the FT-AC at various shows. And it definitely seems that this concept is not being marketed as an off road vehicle in the slightest, which is disappointing considering all the outdoor activities it seems to be catering to.

· Registered
348 Posts
Hollis has been doing interviews. He has to have known that the FT-AC was actually the new RAV4 and didn't reveal that. He just hinted that it might be produced as some sort of new model. So I don't expect any new interview to reveal more unless it fits their time table for releasing new models and info. All car companies play this game.

I guess they know what they are doing, but I share your frustration for solid news.
As long as they deliver on the off-road features we used to find in Toyota's and somewhat have these days in a product that makes it work best, I will be happy. FJ Cruisers sold well so i'm still putting lots of hope into a successor of it and a spin off of a smaller version. But it is a moment of big change for Toyota, we might have to sit on our hands some more and stay away from the computer :D

· Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
As long as they deliver on the off-road features we used to find in Toyota's and somewhat have these days in a product that makes it work best, I will be happy. FJ Cruisers sold well so i'm still putting lots of hope into a successor of it and a spin off of a smaller version. But it is a moment of big change for Toyota, we might have to sit on our hands some more and stay away from the computer :D
LOL....stay away from the computer sounds like the best option. :D

· Registered
127 Posts
Hopefully we wont be waiting long with the Chicago Auto Show only a week or so away. Toyota better share more information about the fate of the FT-4X as it's been pretty confusing on whether or not it has real off road potential. The FJ was such a highly praised vehicle and it would be a great move by Toyota to allow new drivers to experience what they have been missing out on.

· Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Chicago starts next Saturday, but I have not seen any automaker press conference schedule. I have heard that sometimes something comes out a couple of days before, but I really don't think it will be the big announcement we have been waiting for.

· Registered
127 Posts
https://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/toyota-to-go-big-in-chicago-1.3789175

According to a variety of sources Toyota has some big plans for the Chicago auto show, and it's been confirmed that we will learn more about the FT-4X! So by the weekend we should have a better idea of Toyota's future plans with their latest concept. I hope we get confirmation of a production vehicle and when its expected to hit the market.

· Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
https://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/toyota-to-go-big-in-chicago-1.3789175

According to a variety of sources Toyota has some big plans for the Chicago auto show, and it's been confirmed that we will learn more about the FT-4X! So by the weekend we should have a better idea of Toyota's future plans with their latest concept. I hope we get confirmation of a production vehicle and when its expected to hit the market.
The article said the FT-4X will be there, which is not news. I am disappointed that there was nothing mentioned about more
becoming available then. But then they might surprise us too

· Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
The article said the FT-4X will be there, which is not news. I am disappointed that there was nothing mentioned about more
becoming available then. But then they might surprise us too
I apologize. It was not previously stated that the FT-4X will be in Chicago.

On the other hand, the Chicago Auto Show site only mentions the FT-AC as being there. I suspect the article mistakenly switched the FT names. No other news source mentions the FT-4X in Chicago.

I just checked the Chicago site and no mention of the FT-4X.

· Registered
348 Posts
There's always the hope that Toyota holds their own event or do something aside from the major shows because that has been happening far more frequently these days with car makers regardless where you look

· Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
There's always the hope that Toyota holds their own event or do something aside from the major shows because that has been happening far more frequently these days with car makers regardless where you look
I think that is very possible. I think everything they will be proposing is already out there show wise so the next thing is whether it will be produced or not.

· Registered
127 Posts
I apologize. It was not previously stated that the FT-4X will be in Chicago.

On the other hand, the Chicago Auto Show site only mentions the FT-AC as being there. I suspect the article mistakenly switched the FT names. No other news source mentions the FT-4X in Chicago.

I just checked the Chicago site and no mention of the FT-4X.
See if Toyota hadn't decided on such stupid/similar concept names, then we wouldn't constantly be mislead with information aha. Well if we don't hear something soon surrounding the FT-4X, is it safe to assume that we likely wont see it come to market at the same time as the new Rav4?

· Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
See if Toyota hadn't decided on such stupid/similar concept names, then we wouldn't constantly be mislead with information aha. Well if we don't hear something soon surrounding the FT-4X, is it safe to assume that we likely wont see it come to market at the same time as the new Rav4?
Yep, it is confusing. But you would think journalists have an obligation to be very careful what they put up. I have seen this sloppiness many times as I have watched new models being developed and introduced.

I don't think we can assume anything. My wild guess is the new RAV4 will come first. I couldn't even begin to guess when we will see the smaller $20,000 CUV. I would start guessing once we see a more production ready version make an appearance.

I don't think the wait will be as long for the TJ Cruiser shown in Tokyo. Afterall it has an actual model name and is very close to production ready.

· Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·

Attachments

· Registered
127 Posts
So does this confirm that the TJ Cruiser is unlikely to be very capable off road? I remember reading that they said it was more designed for the city, but its hard to ignore its more rugged/outdoor styling. I don't think we'll see a lot of buyers who have interest in using it for off road, but it would be cool for Toyota to release a product similar to what's offered in a Jeep. Obviously that would make them direct rivals however, so Toyota is probably intentionally trying to avoid that.

· Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
So does this confirm that the TJ Cruiser is unlikely to be very capable off road? I remember reading that they said it was more designed for the city, but its hard to ignore its more rugged/outdoor styling. I don't think we'll see a lot of buyers who have interest in using it for off road, but it would be cool for Toyota to release a product similar to what's offered in a Jeep. Obviously that would make them direct rivals however, so Toyota is probably intentionally trying to avoid that.
Could be they will offer levels of the basic model that will make it slightly more off road ready. But keep in mind the Renegades more rugged levels are a lot more expensive than the base model. The base models have the most sales volume.

· Registered
65 Posts
We have news about the TRD Pro series. I like this because, even though I am not interested in these versions, it clears the deck regarding off road Toyotas. (Doubtful there will be any FJ type revival. Toyota Pro series is covering that segment)

Now we can concentrate on the $20,000 model, whatever that is.

Game Changer: 2019 Toyota TRD Pros Typify Ultimate Off-Road Performance | Toyota

Not even close, nice try though. The TRD Pros are their own trim level, nun of witch are in direct competition with the Wrangler. Shorten up the wheel base a tad on one of these and you may have a contender.

Time will certainly tell though, Toyota will have to get back into the market with an FJ variant or something new if they want to keep riding that horse in the purpose built 4X4 field.

41 - 60 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.