Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Yeah, peculiar that the C-HR got no shine at either Detroit or Chicago. A number of commentors have been asking for an AWD C-HR to be released in North America, as that option is available in Australia, Japan and Europe. Perhaps it's because the C-HR has not lit it up sales-wise against the Honda HR-V in the way that the RAV4 has against the CR-V. Toyota needs strong sellers at all utility vehicle levels, but other than the RAV4, they got nothing.

Toyota C-HR US car sales figures
In 2015 I waited to purchase my RAV4 because I had hope for the C-HR having the utility of my 2004 Scion xB. I was disappointed. I am happy with my RAV4, but a smaller vehicle with utility from Toyota might make me trade it in. Fortunately , I am in a position where I can wait a couple of years for that. But I am anxious to see what the sub-compact from Toyota will be.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm not in too much of a rush either and Toyota's older Rav4 models, from what I can recall, seems to be a lot smaller compared to the current gen model. Then it got progressively bigger until we have the car of today. Would like to see it shrink a bit to go back to its easy 2000s size.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I hope that an AWD C-HR doesn't detract from the need of another CUV. Although I can see what drivers would want this option on the CH-R I don't think it bodes well for the TJ, as it may satisfy the needs of most drivers. Hopefully its relatively insignificant sales numbers still prompt Toyota to bring a new subcompact to market asap.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Toyota is in a position where they don't have to worry about it. In a world where car makers are creating a lot of world market vehicles, the risk of overlapping isn't so bad after all. Plus I think they want to find more of what works well rather than worrying about offering too much. They also have billions to throw around without issue.

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I'm not in too much of a rush either and Toyota's older Rav4 models, from what I can recall, seems to be a lot smaller compared to the current gen model. Then it got progressively bigger until we have the car of today. Would like to see it shrink a bit to go back to its easy 2000s size.
When a car approaches within 100 thousand of half a million cars a YEAR in it's current size, it's not very wise to reverse to a now slower selling size. Better to keep the lucrative design and gain even more sales for Toyota with a separate smaller model. Keep in mind the smaller CUVs from other makes sell a fraction of the larger models. For example, the Honda H-RV sells a fraction of what the C-RV sells. Toyota is not going to purposely reduce it's sales and profits.

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I hope that an AWD C-HR doesn't detract from the need of another CUV. Although I can see what drivers would want this option on the CH-R I don't think it bodes well for the TJ, as it may satisfy the needs of most drivers. Hopefully its relatively insignificant sales numbers still prompt Toyota to bring a new subcompact to market asap.
I am a perfect example of someone that is not interested at all in the C-HR because of it's lack of utility, and yet would get excited at one that had the utility of the TJ Cruiser. Recall that the TJ Cruiser is based on the same sized platform as the C-HR making it the perfect companion make for the C-HR. Also good production cost savings over a totally different platform for each car.

·
Registered
309 Posts
When a car approaches within 100 thousand of half a million cars a YEAR in it's current size, it's not very wise to reverse to a now slower selling size. Better to keep the lucrative design and gain even more sales for Toyota with a separate smaller model. Keep in mind the smaller CUVs from other makes sell a fraction of the larger models. For example, the Honda H-RV sells a fraction of what the C-RV sells. Toyota is not going to purposely reduce it's sales and profits.
Wasn't aware that the larger selling models were moving more units than the smaller ones, especially when I've seen to many smaller models coming out these days, heck even talks of UTE pickups. Thought small would be the trend. I'd be happy no matter what, so long as it still has that FJ Cruiser DNA somewhere.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had no idea that larger models we're selling better either, but I suppose that makes sense as the sales of pickups and SUV's are at an all time high. Seems like a lot of automakers are playing around to find the right balance between form and function. It's pretty obvious from its boxy body style, that the TJ has been centered around utility and maximizing cabin space.

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Wasn't aware that the larger selling models were moving more units than the smaller ones, especially when I've seen to many smaller models coming out these days, heck even talks of UTE pickups. Thought small would be the trend. I'd be happy no matter what, so long as it still has that FJ Cruiser DNA somewhere.
I had no idea that larger models we're selling better either, but I suppose that makes sense as the sales of pickups and SUV's are at an all time high. Seems like a lot of automakers are playing around to find the right balance between form and function. It's pretty obvious from its boxy body style, that the TJ has been centered around utility and maximizing cabin space.
Yep.....I am excitedly expecting some spy shots of testing. We may see that before any announcement

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Here is the data on sales from 2017....

H-RV 94,034

C-RV 377,895

RAV4 407,594

Jeep Renegade 103,434 (dropped from 106,606 sold in 2016)

·
Registered
127 Posts
There's only a couple days left at the Chicago Show and its becoming less and less likely we'll learn anything about the TJ. Not sure why we've seen a second auto show that's been focusing on pickups and SUV's. We get it, they're popular. Now give us some news on all these concepts we've seen.

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
There's only a couple days left at the Chicago Show and its becoming less and less likely we'll learn anything about the TJ. Not sure why we've seen a second auto show that's been focusing on pickups and SUV's. We get it, they're popular. Now give us some news on all these concepts we've seen.
I read an article that stated all the reveals took place in one day, the first day, so I knew we wouldn't hear anything earth shattering.

As others have suggested, I don't think announcements will be at shows. Personally, I believe the next thing we will see are spy shots of testing. Announcements will come later.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I read an article that stated all the reveals took place in one day, the first day, so I knew we wouldn't hear anything earth shattering.

As others have suggested, I don't think announcements will be at shows. Personally, I believe the next thing we will see are spy shots of testing. Announcements will come later.
toyota has always been a car maker to drop teasers and stretch out the timeline of when and how they drop teasers. Fortunately when they commit to a product and deliver, its GOOD. I guess that's what it takes to deliver a great product as a result I won't mind all this pain they put us through!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Toyota FT-4X Explained

New FT-4X interview video shot at beginning of 2018 Chicago Auto Show: An interview with Curt McAllister, Midwest Public Relations Manager at Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A.

"We want to get people to get excited about this vehicle. Now, you know, we're not ready to promise this is coming to the market, but maybe some styling cues will."

Very similar to the talk around the FT-AC, which as we know, was the pre-release concept vehicle for the 2019 Rav4.

Some excellent video shots of the FT-4X on this.

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Great find Roadrunner! Thanks!

After seeing this, I am convinced this car will NOT be produced. So my only hope is the TJ Cruiser comes out in Asia and Europe and hopefully later in the US. I wonder about that too because it has not been seen since Tokyo.

Looks like I will be in my RAV4 for many more years.

·
Registered
140 Posts
What a shame for Toyota to drop what could have been a gold mine for them. So it sounds like a production TJ Cruiser is unlikely at this point, but other models could get the concept's styling cues. I'm guessing he's hinting towards the upcoming Rav4 with that off-road trim.

Looks like it may be the Rav4 for me as well, maybe the newer model if Toyota delivers something more unique than the last gen.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If this is true then I might wait to see what Ford has coming with its compact off road Bronco model. I was really hoping that Toyota would return to the off road CUV segment, and I guess it was too much to ask for them to release a redesigned Rav4 and the FT-4X at the same time :(

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
What a shame for Toyota to drop what could have been a gold mine for them. So it sounds like a production TJ Cruiser is unlikely at this point, but other models could get the concept's styling cues. I'm guessing he's hinting towards the upcoming Rav4 with that off-road trim.

Looks like it may be the Rav4 for me as well, maybe the newer model if Toyota delivers something more unique than the last gen.
After the new 2019 RAV4 is introduced you can see what it is like. You should be able to get the 2018 version for a good price as a year end. Usually possible after a major restyle.

Would not agree with Toyota if they did not produce the TJ Cruiser, but I guess I can understand the business decision.
For example, the Honda CR-V sales in February were 25,852 and the HR-V ( same size and class as the TJ Cruiser) were 6,791. Worth it for Toyota?....I don't know. ( Renegade sold 8,249)

The Toyota C-HR sold 4,420 the same month. Not too bad I suppose for something that niche without much usable cargo space. Ironically, Toyota may be using those sales to decide whether a PRACTICAL CUV should be introduced.
Really wish they would have done a TJ Cruiser first. Now we may never see it. :(

·
Registered
309 Posts
Would Renegade sales not be slowing down because it has been out for a while? Initial reception was very warm from the Jeep community. I'd assume something like the TJ cruiser would have seen similar sales trends as well.

If Toyota is basing their decision on the C-HR then there's really no hope. That car has nothing going for it aside from looks and even then it's polarizing depending on the person. On the other hand, the Cruiser has utility in spades and that could help people overlook what negatives it may have.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts