Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Depends on why its leaking, if its just a poor weather seal then its not that bad. But if its more than that, something to do with construction, I would be very concerned.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Improper sunroof seal I believe, though it is a feature I would still want in my car. Toyota vehicles may not be free of problems completely, but they're fewer and father in between than other brands as far as I know.

·
Registered
347 Posts
this time around they're making Wranglers for an even broader global market so maybe that gives them more of a reason to make sure it doesn't happen. not much we can do aside from testing demo's before buying. this being Jeep they should have at least 1 demo on the lot before people are ready to order.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm sure now that they've realized it was a common enough problem, they've rectified the situation at the factory so the newer models don't come with the same issues.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Even 2017 models were leaking... a bit too close to the model year and generation we're about to step into but new generation is an opportunity to come out with a new design. Not as easy to do that on an out going product.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't remember Toyota having a problem like that, the last large recall I heard about was of the Takata airbags and those definitely won't be used in any new models from anybody. Reliability and quality from the Japanese brand should remain the same if not better in the coming years.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
For 2017, Lexus and Toyota were the #1 and #2 most reliable automobile brands and a lot of their cars are old as **** but still being driven around the country.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If they were the 2017 most reliable automotibles, it would have been based on their current lineup and not their old ones. But talking about old cars being driven around the country, it all depends on how you maintained them and we never really know what kind of repairs they've endured.

Maintenance is key and you can essentially make any car last for a very long time.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
All you really need for a Toyota is general maintenance and nothing special. My friend has been trying to drive theirs into the ground for years so they can justify buying a new car, but the Camry won't break down.

If the TJ Cruiser can take just as much abuse and still function fine, then it'll be a dream come true.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Treat it right and take care of it, you should be good to go. Of course, unless you get a "defective" TJ, then you'll be in some issues. For example speaking of Camrys, my uncle has one and oh boy is that thing a pain in the behind.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Probably the biggest thing for us to worry about is that new small displacement 4 cylinder thats said to be in the new TJ. I'm always skeptical about car makers demanding a lot from small engines, but at the same time it can be doable with reliability.

·
Registered
153 Posts
These days small displacement engines are quite sweet these days with the aid of forced induction of some sort which I'm sure they'll utilize. Adding a turbo to a low-displacement engine will give it some nice bottom end torque which would make this much more off-road friendly.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
A current turbocharged engine requires little more maintenance than other engines, so it's down to how reliable Toyota wants their TJ cruiser to be. I've never owned anything with a turbo, so the extra low end torque does interested me, but not risking a shorter engine lifespan in exchange.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Main thing is having proper turbo etiquette and treating it well. Giving it adequate warm up time when you start the car in the morning to ensure the oil is flowing through it, and after driving it around for a while, bring it home, give it a few minutes to let the oil circulate to cool it off and then turn it off. A lot of people don't do these simple things and that leads to turbo failure. Also, changing your oil a little bit more frequently than you naturally would is also recommended.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Easiest way will just be following your service schedule to the T, you guys would be surprised by how many don't. I used to work in a Toyota dealer and many owners would miss service thresholds by hundreds to thousands of miles. Aside from that I wouldn't do anything more. Can't wait to see the service schedule though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Easiest way will just be following your service schedule to the T, you guys would be surprised by how many don't. I used to work in a Toyota dealer and many owners would miss service thresholds by hundreds to thousands of miles. Aside from that I wouldn't do anything more. Can't wait to see the service schedule though.
Look at the current service schedule Toyota has and it'll follow the same route. If you've worked in a Toyota dealership you'd know that the service schedule is the same for every vehicle on the lineup. The TJ won't be anything special that requires different servicing from the other vehicles.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'm generally on top of my bi annual services though it's mostly dependent on how much I drive. Perhaps an oil catch can to prevent gunk from building up in the intake manifold, but those are needed more for direct injection engines.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Luckily those are relatively cheap and the stuff it catches is pretty gross when you decide to empty the can. But it's generally for direct injection engines, which I suppose you guys are assuming the TJ Cruiser will get?

·
Registered
347 Posts
CH-R currently as a once every 12 month service schedule which i'm not sure will hold up with that new small displacement 4 cylinder the TJ is going to get, even if its double that I won't mind because I come from a long history of cars where every 3-4k miles you have to do an oil service.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Currently, my Toyota only requires maintenance once per year as well and I don't really see that changing with their newer models, even the small displacement engines. Perhaps it's more common if you were to get a Lexus coupe or some other performance model and if it uses diesel.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts