Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I thought we were going to see something with sizes of Honda Element (or Jeep Renegade), but it looks like a bigger vehicle. Anyways, I like its first teaser photo. These headlights look pretty cool (especially roof ones). Also, fenders look weird to me. What do you think about it?
The front looks great. Those fenders look a bit weird and tacked on in this photograph, but may look better when we see a complete picture.

Yes, I am disappointed that we won't get an Element type vehicle.

· Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That plastic fairing cover jutting out looks like a piece of armor protecting the body. If its interior features is similar to the TJ cruiser but with a more FJ cruiser exterior, then we may have the perfect car and I'd be first in line for one.
But if it comes with a $30,000 plus sticker, than I am definitely out. :(

· Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This article points out the similarity between the the hood and windshield contour of the FT-AC and the FT-4X. This gives me hope for the FT-4X sized vehicle I would like.

Since the TJ Cruiser name is already trademarked, I believe that will be a Japan market model that will actually be released close to as it is now. I would be very happy for something like the FT-4X for the US market. On that I am sure there will be some practical changes from the show car.

· Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If that's true, Renegades will soon disappear from the market. I drove this car once and that was enough for me to understand what I'm dealing with. Ugly looking Renegade won't make you happy by its interior too. Cheap plastic everywhere, seat cloth feels weird, outdated interior design overall. There are better competitors like Honda H-RV, Mazda CX-3 or even Subaru Crosstrek.
I would never buy a Jeep myself mainly because of their poor reliability. However, the Renegade is the top seller among all the vehicles we have mentioned in this class. Toyota might be a good competition, but I don't think Renegade sales will disappear.

October 2017 YTD U.S. SUV Sales Rankings - Top 106 Best-Selling SUVs In America - Every SUV Ranked -

· Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well for one, Jeep got rid of one CUV and replace it with the Renegade, then theres the fact its the most off-road worthy CUV in its segment, there's simply nothing like it no matter how hard you look.
True. It's amazing how many directions companies went in this class. To me, too many of them went with the "coupe" look. FT-4X is the closest thing to the Renegade, so I hope something like it from Toyota gets a real name and gets produced.

· Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
What if the new FT-AC will be in the same segment with Range Rover Evoque, size wise? I don't know why, but I have a feeling that FT-AC will have similar proportions to Evoque.
The Evoque is 172" long. That is 8" shorter than the RAV4, 3" longer than the TJ. Since my only criteria for me replacing my RAV4 is wanting something shorter, the Evoque's size would work.

· Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Correct.

What we should see and I hope we see is something far closer to the Jeep Renegade. After all its along the lines of what Toyota wants to bring to market and what better than the next best thing to this future Toyota? :wink:
I am with you there. The base Jeep Renegade is a basic crossover, but if you want a true off-roader you can opt up to a Trailhawk version. Toyota could adopt this sales model and save the expense of recreating an expensive FJ successor. Although FJ fans will be disappointed, it makes a lot more economic sense for Toyota.

The FT-4X concept was closest to the Renegade in size and scope. Wouldn't that be a kick if Toyota circled back to something like that!

I am anxiously hoping what we see tomorrow is close to that.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.