Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Super Moderator
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
https://www.trucks.com/2018/01/19/toyota-sales-chief-talks-tacoma-tundra/

Would like to see Toyota announce a new SUV production at the Chicago show. But I'm not holding my breath. 2019 Rav4 TNGA reveal at Chicago is possible but they may keep it under wraps a while longer with Rav4 sales still peaking.

I'd like to see a 2019 FT-4X but I may pull the trigger on a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek as Toyota is not ready.
I was just going to post that link to the article and I see you already have. I like this part and find it very encouraging. It is the first time i have heard about the show response to both vehicles...

"You’ve debuted utility concepts – the FT-4X in New York and the FT-AC in Los Angeles. Will one of those turn into some kind of extreme lifestyle trim for RAV4?

Oh, it truly could. Our company is growing a true vehicle concept type of practice. There are elements of FT-4X and FT-AC that could make their way into RAV4. But also into multiple of our SUVs as well. Potentially, some sort of combination or modification to either one of those could be a new entry into the SUV world for Toyota.

The FT-4X was outstanding in New York. The feedback was way above our expectations. It makes you start to think like we did with FJ Cruiser. It was so popular we had to make the car. FT-4X is in that similar boat where it's like, “Wow, it's so good. Maybe that concept is the hit itself.” Then we came up with FT-AC and people said, “Wow, that may even be stronger than FT4X.”

The reason for the proliferation of SUVs, is that people see their vehicle as an extension of their personal life or desires, and so they want a little bit more utility. They want to see themselves being more active. That's not just younger people, that's all people."

I got a chuckle with this line....he is so right!....

RAV4 sold 407,600 units last year, best of any vehicle not a pickup. But it was launched in 2013, so it’s starting to age. (?)

"Well, I tell you, if it's starting to age and we keep picking up sales, I'm going let that sucker age."

·
Registered
348 Posts
One would think Toyota would have learned from the likes of the Element and Aztek to chill out with the crazy body styles. I mean I understand that as its a utility vehicle, most owners would be more concerned with what it can do, than how it looks. Found a link with clear pictures of the rumoured FT-AC concept.
The Toyota FT-AC is your baby 4Runner
while you do have a point the difference here is that Toyota understand timing in a market and they already have a proven foundation for launching a model regardless of what it is. Even if design as attractive as it should be they at least have specs that meet the needs of most potential buyers.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My only concern with their focus on utility, is that the vehicle then only serves that niche outdoorsman market. If the vehicle was also styled appropriately, it would reach a larger consumer base. That being said I don't have issue with the current looks of the TJ concept, but I do hope their is a 4 door offering to come.

·
Super Moderator
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
One would think Toyota would have learned from the likes of the Element and Aztek to chill out with the crazy body styles. I mean I understand that as its a utility vehicle, most owners would be more concerned with what it can do, than how it looks. Found a link with clear pictures of the rumoured FT-AC concept.

The Toyota FT-AC is your baby 4Runner
I have not seen anything from Toyota that approaches Aztec looks. :)

·
Super Moderator
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
My only concern with their focus on utility, is that the vehicle then only serves that niche outdoorsman market. If the vehicle was also styled appropriately, it would reach a larger consumer base. That being said I don't have issue with the current looks of the TJ concept, but I do hope their is a 4 door offering to come.
All the concepts have 4 doors. I did see in one review video in which the rear doors were not operable on the FT-4X, but interior shots show the door pulls and break line where a door will be. I will find a picture for you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Appreciate the picture...and man does that look like something out of a sci fi movie. It looks like the inside of a rover driving around the surface of mars aha. Nonetheless I'm super happy to see that the concept is 4 door. I wonder how much of that interior will make it through to the production version.

·
Super Moderator
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Appreciate the picture...and man does that look like something out of a sci fi movie. It looks like the inside of a rover driving around the surface of mars aha. Nonetheless I'm super happy to see that the concept is 4 door. I wonder how much of that interior will make it through to the production version.
I actually don't think a lot of it will make it to production, especially all those removable pieces....a nightmare for dealers everywhere.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think when it comes to concepts, the interior is always the first thing that sees a redesign. The interior creative styling of these concepts is a means of attracting consumers, but when it comes to full on production, functionality becomes far more important. Are those weird, blue plastic bottle looking things the door handles?

·
Super Moderator
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I think when it comes to concepts, the interior is always the first thing that sees a redesign. The interior creative styling of these concepts is a means of attracting consumers, but when it comes to full on production, functionality becomes far more important. Are those weird, blue plastic bottle looking things the door handles?
I think the bottles are supposed to be door handles, but i think there are other ways to pull it closed. Those will be the first things to not make it to production anyway. We will see a more normal ( and permanently attached parts) version in production.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Leave it to Toyota to make giant rectangles as door handles. For all we know they are detachable and can be used at water bottles. I read an article regarding the FT-AC and it seems as though the fog lamps can be removed and used as portable lamps. While this kind of utility is certainly cool, I wonder just how complex this will make the production process.

·
Super Moderator
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Leave it to Toyota to make giant rectangles as door handles. For all we know they are detachable and can be used at water bottles. I read an article regarding the FT-AC and it seems as though the fog lamps can be removed and used as portable lamps. While this kind of utility is certainly cool, I wonder just how complex this will make the production process.
Those are water bottles, in fact. I really doubt all the detachable pieces will make it to production. Partly because of the expense, and party because of thefts.

·
Super Moderator
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Pathmaker..... Here is a good video review of the FT-4X that explains a lot of the features of the concept.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for sharing, a great overview of all the features in this concept. I have to say from seeing all the modular features, there is no way a good portion of them will make it to production. I cant believe those are actual water bottles on the door, and sleeping bag in the center console. This concept really is being marketed towards the outdoorsman. It would however be a far too complex manufacturing process to keep all these features in a full production run. That being said there are some aspects that I would like it to see stay.

·
Super Moderator
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Thanks for sharing, a great overview of all the features in this concept. I have to say from seeing all the modular features, there is no way a good portion of them will make it to production. I cant believe those are actual water bottles on the door, and sleeping bag in the center console. This concept really is being marketed towards the outdoorsman. It would however be a far too complex manufacturing process to keep all these features in a full production run. That being said there are some aspects that I would like it to see stay.
Agree about all those removable features. I also don't expect to see that complicated rear hatch make it. This is supposed to be our $20000 model and has to be built to a price.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Agree about all those removable features. I also don't expect to see that complicated rear hatch make it. This is supposed to be our $20000 model and has to be built to a price.
I mean I wouldn't mind if they removed the heating and cooling chambers from the rear hatch, but I really hope the multi hatch feature remains. I really like the design behind a spinning lock mechanism and I think it would go a long way to separate itself in the utility segment.

·
Super Moderator
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I mean I wouldn't mind if they removed the heating and cooling chambers from the rear hatch, but I really hope the multi hatch feature remains. I really like the design behind a spinning lock mechanism and I think it would go a long way to separate itself in the utility segment.
Agree that is a cool feature,but if I had to choose, I would choose a fold flat passenger seat as the TJ has. It doesn't look like the FT-4X concept has that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I mean folding seats in a utility vehicle should be common sense. They should stop focusing on gimmicks like removable/multipurpose components and design a car that offers features not found in the Wrangler. It's obviously going to be an uphill battle to go against the likes of Jeep, but they don't necessarily need to match performance, they need to offer better design.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I mean folding seats in a utility vehicle should be common sense. They should stop focusing on gimmicks like removable/multipurpose components and design a car that offers features not found in the Wrangler. It's obviously going to be an uphill battle to go against the likes of Jeep, but they don't necessarily need to match performance, they need to offer better design.
You have to look at it from the perspective of the fact they want to make this a lifestyle product and with that comes the conveniences seen in the concept. Featuring fold down seat isn't going to surprise anyone in a concept.

·
Super Moderator
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
You have to look at it from the perspective of the fact they want to make this a lifestyle product and with that comes the conveniences seen in the concept. Featuring fold down seat isn't going to surprise anyone in a concept.
Concepts are always over the top with some impractical features we will never see in production. To me, the TJ Cruiser (displayed in Tokyo) requires the least adjustment to be production ready. Therefore very likely to make it to at least Asia and Europe.

The FT-4X is much more over the top with features impracticable for production. It is a wild card on what will happen with it.

No more guessing with the FT-AC since we know it is the next RAV4. Just a matter of figuring out which level gets what......and when it be announced for the showrooms.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts