Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Jeep and Subaru seem to be the only companies that have a continued interest in offering manuals. And I recently saw that even Subaru is considering phasing them out for "safety reasons". I've driven some of these newer crossovers with CVT's and lets just say...no thanks.

·
Super Moderator
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Jeep and Subaru seem to be the only companies that have a continued interest in offering manuals. And I recently saw that even Subaru is considering phasing them out for "safety reasons". I've driven some of these newer crossovers with CVT's and lets just say...no thanks.
I remember a few years ago, I rented a small Chevy with a CVT. I pulled into traffic and punched it to get up to speed. It scared the heck out of me because it just bogged down and hung at slow speed.

Toyota promises a new CVT with more punch getting under way. Good to see a company address this issue with CVTs.

Subaru is discontinuing manuals on the Crosstrek. Apparently they were slow sellers.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I remember a few years ago, I rented a small Chevy with a CVT. I pulled into traffic and punched it to get up to speed. It scared the heck out of me because it just bogged down and hung at slow speed.

Toyota promises a new CVT with more punch getting under way. Good to see a company address this issue with CVTs.

Subaru is discontinuing manuals on the Crosstrek. Apparently they were slow sellers.
Already they're proving what CVT's can be with some new Lexus models. It has become so good that it doesn't feel like a CVT, that's my kind of CVT ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I saw that Subaru may be moving away from manuals altogether...for 'safety reasons' which I think is a load of bull. And yeah I've seen some articles around Toyota's new CVT that supposed to a have a launch gear, which helps with the lag seen at low speeds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had to manual trans WRXs and in snow and on icy roads gearing down is much, much safer than applying your brakes. Too bad how fast manuals are disappearing such an engaging, fun way to drive. Nice to see Tacomas, Wranglers, BMW and VW are still offering them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think that manuals still have a place in performance and off road oriented vehicles, regardless of the way the segments are moving. I never would have thought that the even the new Supra would be limited to a DCT, a real indication of how driver preferences are changing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I for one would never buy a Wrangler without a stick shift. I think that Jeep's will be among the last models that are available standard, regardless of how uncommon they become. I can understand why the Supra has been set up with a DCT, as that car is all about performance.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I for one would never buy a Wrangler without a stick shift. I think that Jeep's will be among the last models that are available standard, regardless of how uncommon they become. I can understand why the Supra has been set up with a DCT, as that car is all about performance.
Eventually you will have to get used to having only an automatic and just maybe the basemodel with a manual. So far that's what Toyota has done and globally they are the biggest player in the off-road game. Over time as Jeep introduces more self-driving tech, Wranglers will see further changes to its transmissions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Self driving tech in an off road vehicle sounds so redundant, but I know that the Raptor already offers some similar drive assist tech. Imo that eliminates all the fun, but I'm sure its only a matter of time before we see it implemented in entry level models.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You really got to get up into the premium levels of trucks before you start to see those sort of drive assist features. So long as the Wrangler doesn't continue to increase in base price, we should be a ways off from seeing them implemented there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't think there is any harm in offering terrain selection, or having the vehicle do that automatically. I think the more premium features will likely be reserved for the upcoming "luxury" Wagoneer, which is rumored to have a trim that's more than $100k

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't think there is any harm in offering terrain selection, or having the vehicle do that automatically. I think the more premium features will likely be reserved for the upcoming "luxury" Wagoneer, which is rumored to have a trim that's more than $100k
A somewhat active suspension setup would be great. For a while the Lexus LX had active dampers, if we can get that on a high trim TJ then that can add greatly to the other terrain tech.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Unless the active dampers are standard in the lowest trim Lexus models, I doubt it'll make its way into Toyota's more budget friendly lineup as a standard feature.
But if it does, then there's no better model to have active dampers than the Rav4 Adventure.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Unless the active dampers are standard in the lowest trim Lexus models, I doubt it'll make its way into Toyota's more budget friendly lineup as a standard feature.
But if it does, then there's no better model to have active dampers than the Rav4 Adventure.
I think Toyota can justify it depending on what the production TJ is like unless they plan for a lexus model with an trim similar to the E-Class all road which has been tailored to go off road.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Doubt that because Lexus is more of a premium version of Toyota will all those city drivers. Toyota is like the new Scion, or rebirth of it with quirky concepts and production models like the new Rav 4 adventure.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts