Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
TRD version of the TJ is almost inevitable. That's going to happen for sure. Hard to say how long it'll play out for because of how much of a niche product it's looking to be though. The FJ was essentially the same, niche market.

·
Registered
309 Posts
And it was a niche product that worked and the TJ could appeal to those same people or those who wanted one and never got a chance to buy a new FJ cruiser. A TRD versions would appeal to the off-road orientated driver while the standard model would be great for everyone else.

·
Registered
140 Posts
^ That's pretty much me in a nutshell. I'd be willing to splurge for a TRD model because of the improved suspension. So many potholes and bumps on the roads these days and I feel every single one of them...

·
Registered
153 Posts
TRD off-road springs will end up being rougher on the road though so if that was what you were thinking of going for, it'll actually work out to be the opposite for you. If they come out with the option of sport and off-road springs, then the sports would be the ones to go for.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Part of ride quality is in the tires, so don't forget that part. Not always is suspension the only part to focus on although it is a large part. I wouldn't worry too much about spring rates and shocks, TJ should naturally come with larger profile tires compared to the typical CUV.

·
Registered
309 Posts
something that's good for both on and off road, those off-road centric tires don't fair well on asphalt and they can wear down too fast. I've heard some great things about the Falken wildpeak A/T3W tires, especially when the roads are wet or icy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Part of ride quality is in the tires, so don't forget that part. Not always is suspension the only part to focus on although it is a large part. I wouldn't worry too much about spring rates and shocks, TJ should naturally come with larger profile tires compared to the typical CUV.
Larger profile tires doesn't mean better ride quality all the time though. For something off-road like, the tires are going to be uncomfortable for daily driving for sure.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Size isn't the only factor, everything comes down to the tire's tread pattern. If you have a set of large knobbies then you can bet the ride quality is going to suffer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Tread pattern, tire size, springs, are all the little factors that all play into the bigger picture of how the car will handle and feel on the road. Of course they aren't going to make it feel like a tractor from factory, but depending on how far you want to go with playing in the off-road, it'll skew greatly.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'd be happy with a set that can handle some packed dirt trails to campsites and that's pretty much it. Most of the time the TJ would be on paved roads and I wouldn't want it to be loud and bumpy all the time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires would be good enough for that. Ran those on a buddies Jeep for years and we always used to go off into dirt trails and campsites all the time without issue.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires would be good enough for that. Ran those on a buddies Jeep for years and we always used to go off into dirt trails and campsites all the time without issue.
How did you guys like it on paved roads? Heard from some people that they can give out a bit of road noise, but of course some of that depends on how well insulated the vehicle is from outside sounds.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts