Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
The RAV4 Adventure should come standard with Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive and Rear Driveline Disconnect. There's also the Multi-Terrain Select system that comes standard with all AWD models. Other than that, I think it's mostly a few exterior changes to make it looks more like an off-roader.

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I don't see why they wouldn't see those kinds of sales with the new Rav4, its a pretty stellar redesign. Its just unfortunate that it may satisfy the needs of what the FT-4X was promising. Have they mentioned what tweaks come in the Adventure trim?
I am not sure I am understanding the "tweaks to Adventure trim" point. I think our goals and wishes are different. I am thinking about the smaller size and price of a vehicle like the FT-4X, not about features that another new model will have. ( I do like cool innovative features, of course).

So my thought is, Toyota may not be considering a smaller vehicle than the RAV4, because even though other makes have had some success, those sales are only a fraction of the RAV4, CRV, Rogue, etc, segment. (The C-HR was tossed at us in that segment, but it missed the mark on utility and it's ground clearance is actually LOWER than the Corolla!)

I think Toyota may consider keeping it's base RAV4 within shouting distance of the subcompact price (H-RV segment) to siphon off some of those sales.

So I have my 2015 RAV4 which serves my needs very well. I only wished for a practical, smaller crossover.

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The RAV4 Adventure should come standard with Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive and Rear Driveline Disconnect. There's also the Multi-Terrain Select system that comes standard with all AWD models. Other than that, I think it's mostly a few exterior changes to make it looks more like an off-roader.
That is correct. From the Toyota site....

"Adventure Grade
Capable on- and off-road with Multi-terrain Select and Dynamic Torque-Vectoring AWD with Rear Driveline Disconnect." I have also heard it has a slightly higher ground clearance than other RAV4 models.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Its also got some more aggressive styling/cladding. Their new AWD system can not only can send up to 50 percent of the engine's available power to the rear wheels, but route it to the individual wheel that has the best traction. Curious to see what boost to torque we will see in the hybrid models.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't like the fact that the hybrid is restricted to a CVT. And I don't think that the redesign is that much larger than the outgoing models. At 180.9 inches from bumper-to-bumper, the 2019 RAV4 is a actually a hair shorter than last year’s model. It is however slightly wider at 73.0 inches. A longer wheelbase provides more rear-seat room, but we haven't been given specifics for interior measurements yet.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm curious to see what the 2.5-litre, four-cylinder engine's fuel economy numbers will be like. As much as I like the old FJ Cruiser, that thing was a gas guzzler and with how expensive gas is getting I'd liked to top up as little as possible.

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I don't like the fact that the hybrid is restricted to a CVT. And I don't think that the redesign is that much larger than the outgoing models. At 180.9 inches from bumper-to-bumper, the 2019 RAV4 is a actually a hair shorter than last year’s model. It is however slightly wider at 73.0 inches. A longer wheelbase provides more rear-seat room, but we haven't been given specifics for interior measurements yet.
Not a fan of the CVT either, but FWIW , Toyota is backing that up with an actual gear to compensate for the power band where the CVT is most sluggish. Sounds like great solution to the problem.

"In an effort to give its new CVT the feel of a conventional automatic transmission when accelerating from a stop, Toyota has added a “launch gear.” Essentially, this fixed ratio—not a simulated gear as in some CVTs—is just like a normal transmission’s first gear. As vehicle speed builds, the transmission then shifts out of launch gear and continues as a CVT. Toyota claims this is “unprecedented,” although we found some precedent in transmission supplier Jatco’s CVT7. In that CVT, engine torque enters the CVT as usual but exits on the output shaft to an “auxiliary gearbox” that is, in effect, a two-speed transmission. The difference is that, in the Jatco unit, the car always starts from a stop with the CVT engaged. Toyota claims the new transmission enhances both performance and fuel economy compared with its existing CVT, and with an even wider ratio spread."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/toyotas-new-dynamic-force-engine-and-novel-continuously-variable-automatic-transmission-explained

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I am glad that he new RAV4 is not any longer. I hate when vehicles grow beyond their nimble size.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah I don't know what its taken this long for an automaker to come up with a solution for the poor acceleration that CVT's provide. Are they implementing this new CVT in all their upcoming models? Hopefully its making its way into the new Rav4.

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yeah I don't know what its taken this long for an automaker to come up with a solution for the poor acceleration that CVT's provide. Are they implementing this new CVT in all their upcoming models? Hopefully its making its way into the new Rav4.
The new RAV4 has a new 8 speed automatic (not a CVT). The hybrid RAV4 gets a new CVT with "launch gear".

·
Registered
347 Posts
Apparently they want to make CVT's in a lot of Toyota almost as sporty as it is in the LC500, if that'st the case this next Rav4 Hybrid could offer a nice mix of sporty characteristics and the typical utilitarian traits that come with these.

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Reviews are already coming out for the Rav4 Adventure. Didn't think they would be on sale so soon after the reveal.
2018 Toyota RAV4 Adventure Appeals to the Young, and the Young at Heart

They haven't gone off road in it yet, but did drive it on wet roads and there was no loss of traction. Only downside if the harsh suspension tuning and road noise. Nothing a bit of music can't drown out!
They aren't on sale yet. Toyota must have just loaned them one to test.

"The 2019 Toyota RAV4 will go on sale at the end of this year while hybrid models will follow suit in early 2019. We expect final specs and pricing closer to its on-sale date, if not sooner."

Just noticed this is the 2018 RAV4 which has been out for a year at least. It will be awhile, I think, before testers get their hands on a 2019. Should be a very different experience from the 2018 model.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well that's a little disappointing that the suspension is already being criticised, prior to it even being properly off road tested. We may see those who are interested in a more capable off road CUV, going with aftermarket upgrades.

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well that's a little disappointing that the suspension is already being criticised, prior to it even being properly off road tested. We may see those who are interested in a more capable off road CUV, going with aftermarket upgrades.
Hopefully the 2019 RAV4 Adventure will be much improved. :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
The RAV4 XSE Hybrid is getting a sport-tuned suspension, I assume the different trims will have the suspension system tuned differently, especially when it has the word Adventure in it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Aside from a tow prep package and increased ride height, I don't see any other notable changes in the Adventure trim. This is what's been outlined on it thus far: black aluminum wheels, special badges, larger fender flares, fog light surrounds, black headlight bezels, blackened roof racks. In the cabin, it gets Adventure door sills, exclusive all-weather cargo and floor mats.

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
From the website it also gets....

"Adventure Grade
Capable on- and off-road with Multi-terrain Select and Dynamic Torque-Vectoring AWD with Rear Driveline Disconnect."

Sounds like something off-roaders would like.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I guess that must have been for the old Adventure trim, because I'm seeing quite a lot of changes in the upcoming model. It also looks like they've increased the towing capacity beyond the 3,500lbs offered in the outgoing model. Can't believe all the improvements that have been made, and its believed that there wont be much of an increase in price.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts