Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Surprisingly enough it looks like there are a bunch of publications that are still on the fence about whether or not the new Rav4 is an improvement over the outgoing model...It's like car companies can't do anything new anymore, and everyone just wants more of the same.

·
Super Moderator
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Surprisingly enough it looks like there are a bunch of publications that are still on the fence about whether or not the new Rav4 is an improvement over the outgoing model...It's like car companies can't do anything new anymore, and everyone just wants more of the same.
I have watched and read hundreds of reviews over the years and am amazed how many don't even get the facts right about the vehicles they review. Consequently, I reserve judgement until I examine the cars myself on what they are really like.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's probably for that reason that Toyota is a little hesitant to just bring the TJ Cruiser to market and hope for the best. I have a feeling they will revisit the idea once Ford introduces the Bronco to the segment.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just wish there were more powertrain options available instead of just the 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine. It's not a bad engine and you get Toyota’s advanced safety technology package as standard. But it would be nice to offer more us more options when it comes to one of their best sellers.

·
Registered
127 Posts
This model should be using their new CVT with the launch gear though right? Wont lie that I've been avoiding those transmissions like the plague, as imo they take a lot of the fun out of driving.

·
Super Moderator
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
This model should be using their new CVT with the launch gear though right? Wont lie that I've been avoiding those transmissions like the plague, as imo they take a lot of the fun out of driving.
That is what I am seeing. About time someone came up with a solution to the CVT problem area. Congrats to Toyota.

Only the Hybrid will get a CVT.

·
Super Moderator
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Just wish there were more powertrain options available instead of just the 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine. It's not a bad engine and you get Toyota’s advanced safety technology package as standard. But it would be nice to offer more us more options when it comes to one of their best sellers.
The engine will be more powerful according an article by The Car Connection.......

https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1115976_2019-toyota-rav4-looking-more-suv-than-crossover

"Under its hood, a 2.5-liter inline-4 shuttles power to the front wheels or, optionally, all four. Toyota hasn’t said just how much power it will offer, but a representative for the automaker told The Car Connection to expect a 15-percent increase over the current model’s 176 horsepower. Translation: at least 200 hp. An 8-speed automatic transmission replaces last year’s 6-speed."

·
Registered
127 Posts
Glad to hear that the new model will be receiving a power boost, but I have a feeling that the highest performing trim will be the hybrid. It'll be interesting to see how the electric motors increase its capabilities off road.

·
Super Moderator
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Glad to hear that the new model will be receiving a power boost, but I have a feeling that the highest performing trim will be the hybrid. It'll be interesting to see how the electric motors increase its capabilities off road.
That would be interesting to see how it improves off road ability. I am glad they didn't go with a turbo. They generally don't have a reputation for long term reliability.

I am speculating, but Mazda produced a manifold design that gave more horsepower without a turbo. I wonder if getting the use of that by Toyota was part of the reason for the cooperation between the two companies.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Turbos require the expensive fuel too, whereas the normal engines are good with 87 or 89 octane. If only the new Rav 4's hybrid version had the same approach angle as the adventure one. Then it'll be perfect as an off-roader for light trails. Low end torque delivery and good on fuel to boot!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not all turbo's require premium fuel, but its definitely recommended if you want them to last. What's the difference in the approach angle between the hybrid and adventure trims?

·
Super Moderator
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Not all turbo's require premium fuel, but its definitely recommended if you want them to last. What's the difference in the approach angle between the hybrid and adventure trims?
Don't have the specs yet on approach angle, but the Adventure has a higher ground clearance, so the approach angle should be better, right?

41 - 52 of 52 Posts