Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problem with electric cars is the range of travel before you need to charge the batteries for a few hours. Time consuming and instills range anxiety in potential buyers. But Toyota may have the solution with the solid-state batteries they're working on. The next gen cars that'll put these batteries to use should debut around 2022, maybe that that point we'll have news of the TJ Cruiser or something similar being released.

These batteries will offer greater drive range per charge and have a recharge time of just a few minutes. Sounds a bit too good to be true, but if they can pull it off I'd be interested in an EV TJ Cruiser.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If Porsche is already working on putting out chargers that will charge their Porsche Mission E to 80% capacity in a mere 15 minutes, it doesn't seem too far fetched anymore that Toyota wants to develop a system that will give you more range and recharge in either the same amount of time or less. The battery and charging game is on a huge incline in terms of innovation and it's not going to stop here for a while. Everyone is going to play the range fighting game but still have significantly lower recharge times. We just have to sit back and see who does it best for what pricing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Batteries are more important than charger tech at this point, at least for Toyota. Most chargers are not owned by automakers, but by third parties so charge rates differ. If Toyota's battery can avoid the dreaded charge taper, then it could potentiality charge faster than its lithium competitors.

·
Registered
347 Posts
One benefit of going for this type of battery is safety, Toyota is known for pushing the barriers on safety and using that for marketing purposes so we might see some of that being used once solid-state battery Toyotas come out. Being known as the maker of some of the safest and most efficient vehicles on the road is a big deal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Recent news indicate a new partnership between Mazda and Toyota to create a company centered around the development of electric cars based off of the Prius platform. Judging by Mazda's lineup, whatever they come out with won't be off-road oriented.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Recent news indicate a new partnership between Mazda and Toyota to create a company centered around the development of electric cars based off of the Prius platform. Judging by Mazda's lineup, whatever they come out with won't be off-road oriented.
If we just want to focus on something in the same segment as the TJ, then theres a chance they can do something with the prius platform. This segment can have mild off roaders that are built off platforms that didn't start out that way. but when you get into bigger segments, then its near impossible to do that.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Prius is so compact, I can't imagine a larger vehicle like the TJ Cruiser sitting on that platform and it'll need to be drastically modified to be more off-road friendly.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The Prius is so compact, I can't imagine a larger vehicle like the TJ Cruiser sitting on that platform and it'll need to be drastically modified to be more off-road friendly.
Just because one car on that platform was small I don't think that means all cars on that same platform will be subject to a similar wheelbase and dimensions. Should be some way to let them apply this to a range of vehicles because its how they can really make it cost efficient.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps I'm not familiar with platform modifications, but they'll need to stretch it out both horizontally and vertically while modifying it to support a taller standing body.

·
Registered
347 Posts
TNGA platform is a good example of this or at least should be because just reading of some models that will sit on this platform, I can imagine them having to make adjustments to the platform before using it on vastly different cars.

The first of Toyota’s new TNGA-based vehicles will appear as early as this year, most likely starting with the next-generation Prius. Separate platforms will be developed for Toyota’s compact cars and large, front-wheel-drive models. A new platform for Toyota’s rear-wheel-drive models, most of them sold by Lexus, will also be developed. Toyota expects that by as early as 2020, half the vehicles it sells worldwide will use the new platforms.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If half of the vehicles Toyota produces will be sitting on these platforms, how likely is it the TJ Cruiser will use said platform and come with a hybrid variant?

·
Registered
65 Posts
If half of the vehicles Toyota produces will be sitting on these platforms, how likely is it the TJ Cruiser will use said platform and come with a hybrid variant?
Excellent point!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised to see a TJ hybrid and Toyota can cut costs by reusing an existing platform instead of developing a new one. May as well use the electric friendly for emissions compliance.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hard to see why they wouldn't when this vehicle was designed in an era where Hybrids are just starting to make a big impact on the market, fast forward to today and its all but confirmed to happen. What would be better though is a TJ platform based EV with a new name and unique look.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Crossover all electric vehicles are still not all that common, perhaps due to the weight of the battery pack needed to move a larger body. Hybrids are more common in the segment than all electric. Maybe Toyota will surprise me and debut some dense and lightweight battery pack with the TJ Cruiser.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Crossover all electric vehicles are still not all that common, perhaps due to the weight of the battery pack needed to move a larger body. Hybrids are more common in the segment than all electric. Maybe Toyota will surprise me and debut some dense and lightweight battery pack with the TJ Cruiser.
I don't think that we will see any EV CUVs or SUVs models from Toyota for the next few years. It's a pretty big leap from hybrids to EV and I think they would've announced it before putting in TJ.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'd be happy with a hybrid model though I'm not expecting to see something like the Highlander's 3.5 liter V6 and electric motor combo. It would be nice to see 280 hybrid system new horsepower in something like the TJ Cruiser.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting fact, the TJ Cruiser's wheel and tires size, vehicle width, and load height was designed in consideration of a potential hybrid variant. So if Toyota wanted to release a hybrid TJ Cruiser, they won't have to change too much of the main body.

·
Super Moderator
461 Posts
Interesting fact, the TJ Cruiser's wheel and tires size, vehicle width, and load height was designed in consideration of a potential hybrid variant. So if Toyota wanted to release a hybrid TJ Cruiser, they won't have to change too much of the main body.
The concept that appeared yesterday in Tokyo has hybrid badges on it, so I guess it is already designed for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
If the TJ Cruiser goes into production, then a hybrid variant is a done deal. Actually, I'd prefer a hybrid Cruiser than a full gas one because they're said to have better low end torque delivery. With the proper set of tires, the hybrid TJ should be able to take on rougher terrain.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts