Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there are some rumours that Toyota is now negotiating with Suzuki over the possibility of selling the Jimny in the US with their badge. The Jimny is an extremely popular compact off-roader in the European market and it may do just as well in the US under a Toyota badge. Considering how much smaller it is than a Wrangler, this may be a smart move for Toyota to properly compete in the off road segment. Would you buy a Toyota Jimny?

·
Registered
309 Posts
The Jimny is just too small for me. If I wanted to go with a two door off-roader, there's always the tried and true Jeep Wrangler. There's also the question of reliability because Toyota may not be the ones producing the Jimny if they plan to slap a badge on the next gen model and call it a day.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean the Jimny is pretty small, but we don't know what a Toyota version could like it. Perhaps they would make a 4 door variant, as 2 door CUV's aren't very popular here in North America. I'm interested to learn more about the rumored partnership, moreso because I just want to see a true off road vehicle out of Toyota. Are Suzuki's known to unreliable? Can't be any worse than what's offered in a Wrangler.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Took a look at the Jimny and it's more reliable than I originally thought, so long as the reliability index is accurate: Suzuki Jimny - Car Reliability Search | Reliability Index | How reliable is your car?
But that car is still just too small and quite frankly hideous. I'd rather go with a Jeep at that point. But if Toyota can overhaul it to look somewhat like the FJ Cruiser and add on two more doors, then there's hope for it yet.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I mean the Jimny is pretty small, but we don't know what a Toyota version could like it. Perhaps they would make a 4 door variant, as 2 door CUV's aren't very popular here in North America. I'm interested to learn more about the rumored partnership, moreso because I just want to see a true off road vehicle out of Toyota. Are Suzuki's known to unreliable? Can't be any worse than what's offered in a Wrangler.
I have had a theory for a couple of years now. When I bought mt my 2015 RAV4, it only cost a few hundred more than a CVT equipped Honda HR-V. So I think Toyota planned on keeping the lowest level RAV4 affordable and eliminate the need for a smaller model. Just a theory.....I have no solid proof of that.

Here are some sales stats for February...

RAV4.......29,867

Honda HR-V........6791

Renegade..........8249

Maybe Toyota isn't sure there will be sufficent sales for a small CUV?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd buy a Toyota Jimny in a heartbeat! Those things are off road beasts and get 30+ MPG. Has anyone seen that Youtube of the $20000 Jimny besting a $170000 Range Rover off road? Funny stuff.

I've owned 3 Wranglers and they can't touch the better MPG and Toyota reliability. So hope that rumor is true!

·
Registered
451 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
The article is here Toyota Baby Off-Roader but yes of course its all hearsay at this point. Its an exciting proposition nonetheless, and I don't see much aside from the body style remaining a Suzuki.
That is an interesting article. Thanks for finding it.

But it is kind of out there too. For example, I have never heard the slightest speculation that it would be a "rescaled and restructured Tacoma" and now they decided against that, anywhere else.

Interesting rumors anyway.:wink:

·
Registered
23 Posts
It is interesting, though, that Suzuki has postponed the unveiling of their new Jimny on multiple occasions. It's public debut was supposed to have happened last September, then January, then March and it remains hidden even after ceasing the building of the current model. The Toyota rumors sprung up after those postponements. Hmmmm. :smile_big:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lol wouldn't that be a wonderful surprise. I'm not sure how well Suzuki sells in North America, and I can't say that I see many of them on the road. I think in recent years their sales have been steadily declining, at least in the U.S. I know brands like the Jimny are still wildly popular in the UK.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Lol wouldn't that be a wonderful surprise. I'm not sure how well Suzuki sells in North America, and I can't say that I see many of them on the road. I think in recent years their sales have been steadily declining, at least in the U.S. I know brands like the Jimny are still wildly popular in the UK.
Suzuki withdrew from the US car market a few years ago. (2013)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All the more reason that a partnership with Toyota makes sense. I don't think that being absent from the North American market is going to help with their reputation. They need to bring some new fresh models, under a different badge.

·
Registered
451 Posts
While I see why you would find this a fun vehicle and smaller CUVs are popular, I just don't see anything this tiny making it in the US.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
About this Discussion
47 Replies
8 Participants
Ericg
Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum
TJ Cruiser Forum is a community for Toyota TJ Cruiser 4x4 enthusiasts to discuss mods, accessories, interior and much more!
Full Forum Listing