Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum banner

We already have a picture video and article of the FT-AC!

5K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  NY-TJ 
#1 ·
#3 ·
This is what I'd imagine a FJ Cruiser successor would look like and it's everything I've dreamed of! I can somewhat see the old model in this new iteration and it just looks so much more off-road ready and rugged than the Tj Cruiser. If Toyota is to produce only one, pleas let it be the FT-AC.

#4 ·
I think you are right. It is a good successor to the FJ. I love it's looks!

It wouldn't be what I want because it is too big. The TJ would be a better fit for me. I am pretty certain that the TJ will be produced in Japan for that market. Whether it makes it here is an open question.

The automotive writers seem to think this is a foretelling of the next RAV4 in styling. It may come as an Adventure option like this one-off.

I notice there are no door handles or interior shots, which to me says it is just an exercise. Maybe the show will reveal more?

#8 ·
I wish I could share in everyone's enthusiasm for an FJ successor, however this is not it. Nor will it ever be, this is a small UNIBODY CROSSOVER. You guys do know what a crossover is right?

The FJ sits right at the top of the unlimited purpose built 4X4 class, the FT-AC sits about three rungs down the ladder below the Tacoma and the 4Runner and in a completely different class. This is the FT-X4 with some tweaks and has a better chance of being produced than the FT-X4 does.

Now that I got that out of the way, I like this concept way more than the FT-X4. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it for the first time this morning, it's at least pointed in the right direction compared to the TJ Cruiser.

It shares some design cues with the Tacomas and the 4Runners in the grill and lights, and looks more like a Highlander or C-HR from the rear. A very nice combination of a few different models wrapped up into a nice looking little crossover.

I could get on board with this one if I was looking for a new crossover.

#10 ·
I am at the opposite end of the spectrum from you. The TJ Cruiser is exactly what I was looking for. I think it is extremely likely to be built and sold in Japan. The open question is US sales and being that the car will already exist, I think it may end up here. Based on the same size and platform of the C-HR, it will fill a hole in the Toyota lineup that every other maker has filled. ( The Juke-like C-HR missed the mark....ironically just as the Juke is being discontinued)

#9 ·
It may not be perfect, but the crossover will have to do if it does come out because Toyota seems to be going the compact route for both concepts instead of a mid-size SUV. It's a good alternative because I just can't justify the high costs of a used FJ Cruiser. A body-on-frame design is preferable, but what we're seeing is okay too.

But who knows, maybe prices of used FJ Cruisers will drop enough by the time Toyota releases the FT-Ac and I'll go get one.

#12 ·
It sure does feel that way unless Toyota has another ace up the sleeve.

I know the 4Runner sits in the mid-size segment and it has a good portion of the market. If fact, they have been killing it with the 4Runner sales after they pulled the FJ. This model is perfect for those who are looking for a Cherokee Trailhawk with a Toyota badge on it.

Reactions: bicepeak
#20 ·
I don't think the the FT-4X has received the green light for production. I think it is misleading for the site to call them "upcoming vehicles" because when you actually click on it they are both referred to as "concepts".

Maybe it is better news for me that the FJ Cruiser is NOT listed there because it is more than a "concept" and headed for production? ( I hope)

I doubt the FT will ever be part of a product name since every time Toyota has used it, they are always "concepts" that may or may not make it to production.

#23 ·
Don't be confused by "FT" because that's just a concept designation which is easy to confuse with the "FJ" marque that has been used for so many decades. Looking back at the last 10 years of Toyota concepts you will find that "FT" concept designation every where.

#25 ·
I think we have the market to thank for that otherwise Toyota would have even less of a reason to come out with a "baby FJ" with a different name. Funny how they could just call it an FJ _ _ (numbers go in those blanks) but didn't, you think its a way to protect the historical value of past FJ's?

#27 ·
Sure seems like it, this will free them up to run with enough of the FJ's characteristics but mold the product how they please which in this vastly different market is needed more than ever. Its hard to keep traditional ways of doing thing these days all while planning for the future.

So maybe it can be said this will be the off-road that brings enough of the old and new together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.