Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'd probably never use the heated and cooled hatch boxes for the simple fact that I'll forget I put something in there and open it like a lift hatch, spilling everything everywhere. :D

My question with the exterior outlets is how much of the car's battery it'll drain.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That's going to be a good piece of information to find out later on. How much of the battery it'll drain, how long you can potentially utilize it for, etc.

I would hope that there would be a volt gauge in the car somewhere with a warning or security feature to cut power when it gets to a certain level to ensure you can start it again.

·
Registered
347 Posts
if I had some real needs for the outlet then I will not depend on the stock battery, too risky.
what I would do instead is install a secondary deep cycle battery to run all accessories off of.

·
Registered
309 Posts
That's what I assume Toyota would do, place and extra battery somewhere to power certain things like the external outlet and maybe even the heated seats and have it recharge using regenerative braking, but that would drive up the MSRP which I'm sure they'll be hesitant to do. Which brings to question how much drain the car's battery can handle.

Another though is what keeps the cooler cold and the heated compartment hot? Is it purely special insulation or are they like mini fridges/hot boxes that requires electricity?

·
Registered
347 Posts
That's what I assume Toyota would do, place and extra battery somewhere to power certain things like the external outlet and maybe even the heated seats and have it recharge using regenerative braking, but that would drive up the MSRP which I'm sure they'll be hesitant to do. Which brings to question how much drain the car's battery can handle.

Another though is what keeps the cooler cold and the heated compartment hot? Is it purely special insulation or are they like mini fridges/hot boxes that requires electricity?
Doubt they would do that, instead just a higher CCA battery that overshoots what the system needs by 100 or so CCA. If they do offer another battery I'll be surprised. I'm thinking this is more of something we do on our own.

·
Registered
309 Posts
So cooler/hot box will be powered by a higher CCA battery? Not only will it regulate box temperatures, but there are those built in power outlets as well. With a larger battery, would the TJ Cruiser need a more efficient alternator?

·
Registered
347 Posts
So cooler/hot box will be powered by a higher CCA battery? Not only will it regulate box temperatures, but there are those built in power outlets as well. With a larger battery, would the TJ Cruiser need a more efficient alternator?
It should be a battery that they use for the entire vehicle, just an efficient way to use the power and better support for aftermarket upgrades. Toyota didn't put enough aftermarket thought into the FJ Cruiser so this could be one of many ways to overcome that.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Toyota doesn't need to take the aftermarket into account when developing the FJ Cruiser, those aftermarket guys are very savvy when it comes to parts development.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Toyota doesn't need to take the aftermarket into account when developing the FJ Cruiser, those aftermarket guys are very savvy when it comes to parts development.
You're right to an extent but they still need to factor in the ownership experience and passion behind it that will be expressed partially through modifications. The easier they make this to personalize and customize the better off TJ culture will be.

·
Registered
309 Posts
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point. :D
Stock performance and design will always come first and engineers have better things to do with their time than wonder if aftermarket companies will be able to figure out TJ cruiser modifications.

What matters at the end of the day is what it comes with from factory, you will need to have a good base to work off of.

·
Registered
347 Posts
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point. :D
Stock performance and design will always come first and engineers have better things to do with their time than wonder if aftermarket companies will be able to figure out TJ cruiser modifications.

What matters at the end of the day is what it comes with from factory, you will need to have a good base to work off of.
Well it comes down to culture and thats one fact we can't ignore, with any strong product or a product that a car maker wants to built to that extent, culture plays right into it. If the vehicle has a strong culture behind it but is very restrictive then that's a big downfall.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You'd be hard pressed to produce a restrictive car even if you don't take the aftermarket into account. They'll always find a way and a good example, though not an SUV, was the Focus Rs. From factory, it was claimed to be tuned for peak hp and torque to maximize what the engine can safely produce. Some tuners decided that it wasn't enough and went to town with it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Honestly, I just like the concept's exterior design and the capabilities it alludes to when it comes to terrain driving. Could do without a lot of the knick knacks in the cabin.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Toyota just needs to give us something similar to the concept when it comes to performance, maybe a better engine, but everything else is spot on.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Toyota just needs to give us something similar to the concept when it comes to performance, maybe a better engine, but everything else is spot on.
The FJ was a great example of how they go from concept to production and most Toyota concepts have followed the same path. Given that history I don't see them deviating much at all. Often in these situations they stick to the script 80% of the time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Jack Hollis, Toyota brand general manager, said "It's not a concept that is so over the top or out of whack that you can't build it." So that means we they could mass produce it, maybe in the concept's entirety.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The possibility of building the TJ is definitely there, but going form concept to production can take years and that could just be the approval process for the new badge.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I hope that translates into a launch timed with the SEMA show so that aftermarket companies have time to modify it. Lexus allowed a tuner to do something similar to the Lexus LC. So already its part of their strategy on higher levels.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Probably not at SEMA since the show itself could take attention away from the TJ Cruiser, though it does have a hall specifically for trucks, SUVs, and off road vehicles. I'd like to see the TJ Cruiser get its own debut event and have journalists take it through a course.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The TJ pays homage to a lineage of Toyota off-roaders that have been around for well over half a century so i think regardless of where they show it off, it will get attention.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts